|Full name||Christine Marie Magnuson|
October 17, 1985 |
Palos Heights, Illinois
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||161 lb (73 kg)|
|Club||Tucson Ford Dealers Aquatics|
|College team||University of Tennessee|
Christine Marie Magnuson (born October 17, 1985) is an American competition swimmer and two-time Olympic medalist. She has won a total of five medals in major international competition, four silvers, and one bronze spanning the Olympics, the World Championships, and the Pan Pacific Championships.
Magnuson was born in Palos Heights, Illinois, and graduated from Victor J. Andrew High School in Tinley Park, Illinois. She received an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Tennessee, where she swam for the Tennessee Volunteers swimming and diving team in National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and Southeastern Conference (SEC) competition from 2005 to 2008. At the 2008 NCAA Championships, Magnuson won an individual national championship in the 100-yard butterfly. She finished her college career with 23 All-American honors, three school records and five SEC individual championships.
International swimming career
2008 Summer Olympics
Magnuson won the silver medal in the 100-meter butterfly final, finishing behind Libby Trickett of Australia who had won the gold medal in an Oceanic record. She also set an American record in that event during the semifinals. Magnuson earned her second medal, also a silver, in the 4×100-meter medley relay finishing behind team Australia.
2009 World Championships
Magnuson advanced to the 100-meter butterfly semifinals and finished tenth overall. Magnuson also swam the third leg in the 4×100-meter freestyle relay but the United States finished fourth in the final.
- List of Olympic medalists in swimming (women)
- List of University of Tennessee people
- List of World Aquatics Championships medalists in swimming (women)
- Magnuson wins silver in 100 butterfly
- M.A. Mehta (August 17, 2008). "Plainsboro's Soni wins third medal, takes silver in 4×100 medley relay". The Star-Ledger. Retrieved June 27, 2009.
- Christine Magnuson at USA Swimming
- Christine Magnuson at the United States Olympic Committee
- Christine Magnuson at University of Tennessee
|This article about a swimming Olympic medalist of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|