|Christine J.D Ondoa|
Ondoa (right) with Hillary Rodham Clinton during Clinton's visit to Uganda in 2012
21 October 1968 |
|Alma mater||Makerere University
(MBChB), (MMed Pediatrics)
Uganda Management Institute
( Diploma in Public Administration & Management)
(MA in Management Studies)
Institute for National Transformation
|Occupation||Pediatrician, Consultant Physician, Medical Administrator|
|Years active||1994 – present|
|Known for||Medical knowledge
Uganda AIDS Commission
|Spouse(s)||Thomas Udong P'ongona|
Christine Joyce Dradidi Ondoa is one of Uganda's finest leaders especially in ensuring that the quality of health service delivery in Uganda is improved, and discipline and ethical code of conduct among health workers is observed.She is a Ugandan paediatrician and Christian Leader. She currently serves as the Director General of the Uganda AIDS Commission. She was appointed to that position by H.E the President of Uganda in February 2014. Prior to that, she served as a Senior Presidential Advisor to President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni on Public Health. She was a member of the board of directors of the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunization (GAVI). She was Minister of Health in the Ugandan Cabinet from 2011 to 2013. She was appointed to that position on 27 May 2011, but was replaced by Ruhakana Rugunda on 23 May 2013. On account of being a cabinet minister she was a member of the Ugandan Parliament, in an ex officio capacity. Prior to that, she was the Executive Director of Mbarara National Referral Hospital, one of the three national referral hospitals in Uganda.
She was born in Moyo District on 21 October 1968.
Christine Ondoa attended Mount Saint Mary's College Namagunga for her high school studies. She holds the degree of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBChB), obtained in 1994, from Makerere University Medical School (MUMS), the oldest medical school in East Africa. She also holds the degree of Master of Medicine in Pediatrics (MMed), obtained in 2000, also from MUMS. In March 2011, she graduated from the Uganda Management Institute with the postgraduate Diploma in Public Administration & Management (Dip.PA&M). In 2012 she graduated from the same institution with the degree of Master of Management Studies (MMS) She has now enrolled in the Institute of National Transformation for her PhD. She did her Internship at St. Francis Hospital Nsambya from 1994 until 1995. She stayed on at Nsambya from 1995 until 1997, when she went back to Makerere University Medical School for her postgraduate training in Pediatrics. Between 2000 and 2009, she worked in Arua Regional Referral Hospital as a Consultant Pediatrician. Between 2009 and 2010, she worked at Jinja Regional Referral Hospital as Senior Pediatrician and later promoted as a senior consultant pediatrician and Hospital Director. She also served as the Chairperson of the Governing Council for Jinja School of Nursing and Midwifery. From January 2011 until May 2011, she worked as the Executive Director at Mbarara Regional Referral Hospital, the teaching hospital of Mbarara University of Science and Technology (MUST). Then from May 211 to May 2013, she was Uganda's Minister of Health.
Dr. Ondoa is the mother of one son named Reuben Azi, born in 1996. She is a Born-again Christian, and was ordained as Pastor, on 23 April 2011, by Bishop Julius Peter Oyet in LifeLine Ministries at Mbuya, Nakawa Division, in Kampala, the capital of Uganda and the largest city in that country. On 28 January 2012, Dr. Christine Ondoa was married to Mr. Thomas Udong P'ongona at Church of the Resurrection, Bugolobi, followed by a reception ceremony held at the Speke Resort and Conference Center at Munyonyo.
- Businge, Julius (4 March 2014). "Uganda: Christine Ondoa Starts Work At Aids Commission". The Independent (Uganda) via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- Newvision, Reporter (27 May 2011). "Comprehensive List of New Cabinet Appointments And Dropped Ministers". New Vision via Facebook. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- Kiggundu, Edris (24 May 2013). "Museveni Drops General Aronda; Katumba, Brigadier David Muhoozi Promoted". The Observer. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- UAC, . (27 February 2014). "Dr. Christine Ondoa: Director General, Uganda AIDS Commission". Uganda AIDS Commission (UAC). Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- DfcuBlog, . (9 July 2010). "Jinja Hospital Gets Incubators". DfcuBlog.WordPress.Com. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- News, . (10 March 2014). "Ondoa Begins Work at Uganda AIDS Commission". East African Business Week (Kampala). Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- European Times. "Ministry Making Progress in Upgrading Healthcare System" (Heath Care Systems). European Times. News. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- Brief, Profile (April 2011). "Will The Touch of Woman Heal Uganda's Sick Health Sector?". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- Aine, Dorothy (29 January 2012). "M7 Advises on Marriage Break-Ups". ChimpReports.Com. Retrieved 17 July 2014.