Christine of Saxony
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|Christina of Saxony|
|Landgravine of Hesse|
|Spouse||Philip I, Landgrave of Hesse|
William IV, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel
Louis IV, Landgrave of Hesse-Marburg
Philip II, Landgrave of Hesse-Rheinfels
George I, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt
|House||House of Wettin
House of Hesse
|Father||George, Duke of Saxony|
25 December 1505|
|Died||15 April 1549
Christine of Saxony (25 December 1505 – 15 April 1549) was a German noble, landgravine of Hesse. She was the regent of Hesse in 1547-1549.
She was the daughter of George, Duke of Saxony "the Bearded", Duke of Saxony and Barbara Jagiellon. Her paternal grandparents were Albert, Duke of Saxony and Sidonie of Bohemia. Her maternal grandparents were Casimir IV Jagiellon, king of Poland and Elisabeth of Austria.
On 11 December 1523 in Kassel, she married Landgrave Philip I, Landgrave of Hesse, called "the Magnanimous". They had 10 children. The marriage was arranged to forge an alliance between Hesse and Saxony and was unhappy; Philip claimed to be disgusted by her and only shared her bed by duty.
Whilst married to Christine, Philip practised bigamy and had another nine children with his other (morganatic) wife, Margarethe von der Saale; in 1540, Christine gave her consent to her husband's bigamy with his lover because of her view upon him as her sovereign. Saale, however, was never seen at court. During Philip's absence and captivity in 1547-49, Christine was regent jointly with her son.
Children with Philip of Hesse
- Agnes (31 May 1527 – 4 November 1555), married:
- Anna (26 October 1529 – 10 July 1591), married on 24 February 1544 to Wolfgang, Count Palatine of Zweibrücken.
- William IV of Hesse-Kassel (or Hesse-Cassel) (24 June 1532 – 25 August 1592).
- Philipp Ludwig, died young in 1535.
- Barbara of Hesse (8 April 1536 – 8 June 1597), married:
- Louis IV of Hesse-Marburg (27 May 1537 – 9 October 1604).
- Elisabeth (13 February 1539 – 14 March 1582), married on 8 July 1560 to Louis VI, Elector Palatine.
- Philip II of Hesse-Rheinfels (22 April 1541 – 20 November 1583).
- Christine (29 June 1543 – 13 May 1604), married in Gottorp on 17 December 1564 to Adolf, Duke of Holstein-Gottorp.
- Georg I of Hesse-Darmstadt, "the Pious" (10 September 1547 – 7 February 1596).
|Ancestors of Christine of Saxony|
Christine of SaxonyBorn: 25 December 1505 Died: 15 April 1549
Title last held byAnna of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
as Landgravine of Upper and Lower Hesse
|Landgravine of Hesse
11 December 1523 – 15 April 1549
Title next held bySabina of Württemberg
Title next held byHedwig of Württemberg
Title next held byAnna Elisabeth of Palatinate-Simmern
Title next held byMagdalene of Lippe