Christmas Around the World
|Christmas Around the World|
|Studio album by Bradley Joseph|
|Released||October 31, 2000|
Adult contemporary (soft)
|Label||Robbins Island Music|
|Bradley Joseph chronology|
"In a thousand different ways, people join together every year to celebrate Christmas with their own unique customs and traditions. Pianist Bradley Joseph has hand-picked songs from around the world and recreated them with his own unique style. Each melody contains history and meaning that has endured for centuries."
- "Far Away on Christmas Day" and "A Minnesota Snowfall" written by Bradley Joseph.
In a review for Wind and Wire Magazine, Michael Debbage writes, "Jules Verne took his characters Around The World In Eighty Days. However, musician Bradley Joseph takes us around the world in one play of this 51-minute long CD. Partially a conceptual project, Joseph presents World Christmas melodies that have endured for centuries making this a unique Christmas project that allows you to enjoy it all year long." While Debbage believes the concept clearly supports the continued "ambitious talents of this creative and warm musician", he does not think this album quite meets the high standard that is associated with Bradley Joseph, stating, "the concept is offset by a limited thin and sparse production", "...most evident via the upbeat 'Hark! The Herald Angels Sing' that includes "poor use of loops and drum machines".
|Wind and Wire Magazine||(not rated)|
|Problems playing these files? See media help.|
Debbage does go on to say that Joseph's stronger arrangements are via the less traditional ventures evident via the exotic Mexican-rooted carol "Riu, Riu Ciu" and the self-penned "Far Away On Christmas Day". "The latter shows influences of the fluid and flowing Bradley Joseph I have come to know and love", states Debbage. The only other self-penned composition is "A Minnesota Snowfall" that reflects a more "naked bare-boned ballad approach".
- "Quickly on To Bethlehem" (Przybiezeli do Betlejem) – Poland
- "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen" – England
- "Ríu, Ríu Chíu" – Mexico
- "Sheep Fast Asleep" (Hitsuji wa Nemureri) – Japan
- "I Am So Glad Each Christmas Eve" (Jeg er glad hver Julekveld) – Norway
- "Far Away On Christmas Day" – USA
- "Praise The Lord O My Soul" – Russia
- "Silent Night" (Stille Nacht) – Austria
- "Joy To The World" – Germany
- "He Is Born" (IL est ne) – France
- "A Minnesota Snowfall" – USA
- "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" – Germany
(History of each song: Christmas_Traditions)
- Art and Design – Tony Horning
- Photography – Erin Horning
- Christmas Around the World (CD liner). Bradley Joseph. Robbins Island Music. 2000. CATW-3D.
- Debbage, Michael. "Review of Christmas Around the World". Wind and Wire Magazine (windandwire.com). Retrieved 2006-12-21.
- Official Website
- Christmas Around the World at Allmusic
- Christmas Around the World at Discogs
- Christmas Around the World at Wind and Wire Magazine
- Christmas Around the World at Last.fm