Christmas at Maxwell's
|Christmas at Maxwell's|
|Directed by||William C. Laufer|
|Produced by||William C. Laufer
|Written by||William C. Laufer|
|Music by||Richard John Baker
|Edited by||Ronen Pestes|
Laufer Film Company
|Distributed by||Aloha Releasing Inc.
Laufer Film Company
Virtual Film Distribution
|December 6, 2006|
Suzie Austin (Jack Hourigan) has cancer and her most recent prognosis is unfavorable. Fearing that this may be their last Christmas together, husband Andrew Austin (Andrew May) takes Suzie and their two children, Chris (Charlie May) and Mary (Julia May) to the family's summer home on Lake Erie to celebrate the holiday. There they meet Gus (Angus May). Andrew comes to terms with his past as the family deals with his wife's failing health.
The film is based upon Laufer's real-life experiences and was shot on locations in Ohio. Laufer's daughter, Tiffany Laufer, an American Film Institute Alumna, served as cinematographer and co-producer. An advance screening was held on November 28, 2006 with all ticket proceeds going to the American Cancer Society. The film had its official theatrical release on December 1, 2006, and its television debut on Christmas Day.
- Andrew May as Andrew Austin
- Jack Hourigan as Suzie Austin
- Helen Welch as Rachel Henderson
- Rick Montgomery Jr. as Dr. Callahan
- Tracie Field as Tootsie
- Robert Hawkes as Col. Pickerling
- Angus May as Uncle Gus
- Charlie May as Chris Austin
- Julia May as Mary Austin
- William C. Laufer as Fr. Johnston
Belinda Elliott of CBN wrote that even with its low budget, the film was "beautifully photographed with rich warming images of Christmas", but cautioned that themes of illness and death might be too heavy for young children. She summarized that the film was a "heartwarming holiday tale that lovingly illustrates the power of faith and the fact that miracles can and do still happen." East Valley Living reports that the film had received an award from the Dove Foundation. In 2010 TBN Trinity Broadcasting Network picked up the movie for a worldwide TV release.
- "Another Cleveland Christmas movie: 'Christmas at Maxwell's'". WKYC. December 24, 2008. Retrieved 7 December 2009.
- Kehr, Dave (November 5, 2006). "December releases". New York Times. Retrieved 7 December 2009.
- "Christmas at Maxwell's to Debut". East Valley Living. December 7, 2006. Retrieved 7 December 2009.
- Elliott, Belinda. "review: Christmas at Maxwell's". Christian Broadcasting Network. Retrieved 7 December 2009.
- Carpenter, Edwin L. "Father And Daughter Work On Family Film Together". Dove Foundation. Retrieved 7 December 2009.
- "Durham company invests in IT recycling company". Philanthropy Journal. November 27, 2006. Retrieved 7 December 2009.