|Christoffel Johannes Venter
CB DFC & bar
1 November 1892|
nr Middelburg, Eastern Cape
|Died||20 February 1977:255
|Battles/wars||World War I|
He joined the 7th Mounted Rifles in 1912 then the 5th SAMR in August 1914 for service in South West Africa. He joined 1 South African Infantry Battalion in 1916 and served in France until he transferred to the Royal Flying Corps in February 1917. He was shot down and captured in 1918. He won the DFC and bar and was credited with 16 aerial victories, and joined the South African Air Force in 1922.:255
Honours and awards
Companion of the Order of the Bath
The notice in the London Gazette reads as follows:
|“||The KING has been graciously pleased, on the advice of His Majesty's Ministers for the Union of South Africa, to give orders for the following appointment to the Most Honourable Order of the Bath:
To be an Additional Member of the Military Division of the Third Class, or Companions, of the said Most Honourable Order:
Distinguished Flying Cross
Lieutenant Venter was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross in 1918. The notice in the London Gazette reads as follows:
Lt. Christoffel Johannes Venter.
He is a bold and skilful airman.
Bar to the Distinguished Flying Cross
In November 1918 he was awarded a bar to his Distinguished Flying Cross The notice in the London Gazette reads as follows:
|“||Lt. (T./Capt.) Christoffel Johannes Venter, D.F.C.
A brilliant patrol leader, who has since May last destroyed eleven enemy machines. In an engagement between six of our machines and nine of the enemy, five of the latter were destroyed, Captain Venter accounting for one. Later on the same day he, in company with three other officers, engaged four Fokkers. In the combat that followed all four enemy machines were destroyed, this officer shooting down one.
- Distinguished Flying Cross and Bar (United Kingdom) (DFC and Bar)
- Uys, Ian (1992). South African Military Who's Who 1452-1992. Fortress Publishers. ISBN 0-9583173-3-X.
- "Rathbone Museum". Retrieved 14 October 2013.
- Who's Who of Southern Africa 1959. Ken Donaldson (Pty) Ltd. 1959. p. 589.
- The London Gazette: . 31 December 1943.
- "Cristoffel Venter Biography". The Aerodrome. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- The London Gazette: . 2 August 1918.
- The London Gazette: . 1 November 1918.
|Director Air Services, South African Air Force
1940 – 1945