||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (April 2013)|
Christoph Niemann (born 1970 in Waiblingen, West Germany) is an illustrator, graphic designer, and (co-)author of several books including some children's books. After his studies in Germany, he moved to New York City in 1997. His work has appeared on the covers of The New Yorker, Atlantic Monthly, The New York Times Magazine and American Illustration, and has won awards from AIGA, the Art Directors Club and American Illustration. Niemann is a member of the Alliance Graphique Internationale. He has been a speaker at Design Indaba Conference twice, in 2006 and 2013.
After 11 years in New York City, he moved to Berlin with his wife Lisa, and their sons, Arthur, Gustav and Fritz. Since July 2008, Niemann has been writing and illustrating the New York Times blog Abstract City, renamed Abstract Sunday in 2011, when the blog moved to The New York Times Magazine. In 2010, he was inducted into the Art Directors Club Hall of Fame.
In 2013, he launched his first interactive illustration at Design Indaba Conference in Cape Town, in the form of an iOS application called Petting Zoo by Christoph Niemann. On June 21, 2013, Google used two of his images to celebrate the 2013 summer and winter solstices as the Google Doodle of the day.
- (2000) Fresh Dialogue 1, New Voices in Graphic Design (with Nicholas Blechman, Paul Sahre and Paula Scher). ISBN 978-1-56898-223-6.
- (2005) 100% Evil (with Nicholas Blechman and Chip Kidd). ISBN 978-1-56898-526-8.
- (2007) The Police Cloud. ISBN 978-0-375-83963-4.
- (2007) The Boy with Two Belly Buttons (with Stephen J. Dubner). ISBN 978-0-06-113402-9.
- (2008) The Pet Dragon: A Story about Adventure, Friendship, and Chinese Characters. ISBN 978-0-06-157776-5.
- (2008) Der kleine Drache. ISBN 978-3-941087-00-2.
- (2009) Windsbraut written by T.C.Boyle, illustrated by Christoph Niemann. ISBN 978-3-940111-51-7.
- (2010) SUBWAY. ISBN 978-0-06-157779-6.
- (2010) I LEGO N.Y.. ISBN 978-0-8109-8490-5.
- (2010) I LEGO N.Y. (German edition) ISBN 978-3-86873-279-5.
- (2011) That's How. ISBN 978-0-06-201963-9.
- (2012) Abstract City. (English edition) ISBN 978-1-4197-0207-5;
- (2012) Abstract City - Mein Leben unterm Strich. (German edition) ISBN 978-3-86873-456-0
- (2012) Der Kartoffelkönig. ISBN 978-3-941087-49-1
- Christoph Niemann's Website
- Ahora: Interview with Christoph Niemann
- Abstract City – a New York Times blog by Christoph Niemann
- Video interview with gestalten.tv
- Interview with the99percent
- Fresh Air interview on NPR