Christophe de Dinechin
|Christophe de Dinechin|
|Known for||XL programming language
Christophe de Dinechin is a French computer scientist, with contributions in video games, programming languages and operating systems.
The designer of the XL programming language and associated concept programming methodology, de Dinechin also contributed to C++, notably a high-performance exception handling implementation that became a de facto standard in the industry. de Dinechin was one of the proponents of a portable C++ ABI, initially developed for Itanium, but now widely used across platforms.
As initial developer of Alpha Waves, a "groundbreaking" Atari ST game (probably the first 3D platform game), de Dinechin heavily influenced Frederick Raynal, the main developer of Alone in the Dark. de Dinechin also wrote a few viral games for HP-48 calculators, and was the first person to take advantage of hardware-scrolling on these machines.
Operating systems design
In the early 2000s, he worked as a software architect for HP-UX, and was the initial designer of HP's virtualisation platform for Itanium servers, HP Integrity Virtual Machines. He was awarded 10 US patents for this work.
Christophe de Dinechin did the initial port of Emacs to the Aqua user interface. He wrote a variety of open-source drivers for the HP DE200C Digital Entertainment Center, turning it from a web-connected CD Player into a true digital video recorder.
Christophe de Dinechin is currently CEO of Taodyne, a company that develops a 3D animation tool, using his XL programming language to describe dynamic documents.
- de Dinechin, Christophe (October 2000). "C++ exception handling for IA-64". IEEE Concurrency (ACM) 8 (4): 72–79. doi:10.1109/4434.895109. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- Bocci, Andrea (1 April 2004). "Exception Handling How To". Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- "C++ ABI Summary". Mentor Graphics. March 2001. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- Loguidice, Bill; Barton, Matt (2009). Vintage Games: An Insider Look at the History of Grand Theft Auto, Super Mario, and the Most Influential Games of All Time. Taylor & Francis. p. 6. ISBN 9780240811468.
- "Lemmings for HP-48". HPCalc.org. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- "PacMan for HP-48". HPCalc.org. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- "Interview de Paul Courbis". HP-Network.com. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- Loli, Eugenia (8 July 2003). "Interview with Christophe de Dinechin, HP-UX Engineer". OSNews. Retrieved 5 February 2014.
- "US Patents citing Christophe de Dinechin as an inventor". US Patent Office. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- "Emacs on Aqua". SourceForge. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- "Drivers for the HP DE200C". Grenouille Bouillie. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- "Taodyne's Team page". Taodyne. Retrieved 24 February 2014.