Christopher Bailey (fashion designer)
|Born||1971 (age 41–42)
Halifax, West Yorkshire, England
|Education||University of Westminster|
Honorary Fellow, Royal College of Art 2003
Christopher Bailey MBE (born 1971) is Chief Creative Officer of Burberry, and is responsible for the company’s overall image including all advertising, corporate art direction, store design and visuals as well as the design of all Burberry collections and product lines. He is also the CEO designate of Burberry and is expected to take over after the departure of current CEO Angela Ahrendts in mid-2014.
Bailey, was born in Yorkshire, the son of a carpenter and a window dresser for Marks and Spencer. He graduated from the Royal College of Art with a Masters degree in 1994 and later received an honorary fellowship from the College in 2004. From 1994 to 1996 he was the Womenswear Designer at Donna Karan and Senior Designer of Womenswear at Gucci in Milan from 1996 to 2001. While in Milan, he met and began dating Geert Cloet, brand designer for Miu Miu. He split his time between his home in Milan and England. In 2004, Cloet was diagnosed with brain cancer. He and Bailey moved to Yorkshire to be near Bailey's family. Cloet died the next year. He joined Burberry in May 2001 as creative director and became chief creative director in November 2009. Bailey is credited with transforming the fortunes of the company.
In 2008, Bailey, alongside Burberry CEO Angela Ahrendts, set up The Burberry Foundation, committed to dedicating global resources to help young people realize their dreams and achieve their goals and potential through their power and creativity. The Burberry Foundation invests in select charities focused on supporting young people in the key cities in regions where the majority of Burberry employees live and work, and where they are able to participate in volunteer roles with Burberry charity partners on the ground.
Bailey also oversaw the design and development of the new 160,000-square-foot (15,000 m2) Burberry Global Headquarters at Horseferry House in London and the newly opened 68,000-square-foot (6,300 m2) Burberry Americas US Headquarters at 444 Madison in New York.
2013 - On 2 December 2013, Christopher Bailey was awarded the Men’s Wear Designer of the Year at the 2013 British Fashion Awards at the London Coliseum.
2009 - Designer of the Year, British Fashion Awards (UK)
2008 - Menswear Designer of the Year 2008, British Fashion Awards (UK)
2007 - Menswear Designer of the Year 2007, British Fashion Awards (UK); Honorary Doctorate of Science from the University of Huddersfield, Yorkshire
2006 - Honorary Doctorate from the University of Westminster, where Bailey graduated from with a BA in 1990
2005 - Designer of the Year, British Fashion Awards (UK)
- "The Class of 2009: Stylemaker of the year: Christopher Bailey". Out Magazine. Retrieved 7 December 2009.
- McDowell, Colin (6 September 2009). "Christopher Bailey: Burberry's golden boy". The Times. Retrieved 7 December 2009.
- Alexander, Hilary (7 December 2009). "Christopher Bailey collects his MBE". Telegraph. Retrieved 7 December 2009.
- Jones, Dolly (11 November 2009). "All Hail Bailey". Vogue. Retrieved 7 December 2009.
- Tatler http://www.tatler.com/the-tatler-list/b/christopher-bailey
- Jones, Nina (2 December 2013). "Christopher Kane, Miuccia Prada Among Honorees at British Fashion Awards". WWD. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- Alexander, Hiilary (9 December 2009). "British Fashion Awards: Christopher Bailey named designer of the year". Telegraph. Retrieved 10 December 2010.