L-R Dani Evans, Gareth Murdock, Peter Alcorn, Christopher Bowes
|Genres||Folk metal, power metal|
|Past members||Gavin Harper
Alestorm is a Heavy Metal band from Perth, Scotland. Their music is characterized by a pirate theme, and as a result they have been dubbed a "pirate metal" band by many critics and their fanbase. They refer to their genre as "True Scottish Pirate Metal".
The band formed under the name Battleheart in 2004. After releasing two demos, they were signed by Napalm Records in 2007 and renamed themselves Alestorm. Their debut album was released on 25 January 2008. The band's third album, Back Through Time, was released in June 2011.
Originally a two-member band consisting of Gavin Harper and Christopher Bowes, Battleheart recorded an independent demo in early 2006. The band was completed with the addition of bassist Dani Evans and drummer Doug Swierczek. Battleheart played their first live show only five days after the members had met for the first time.
Terror on the High Seas, their second demo, was recorded the same year. Later in the year, the song "Set Sail And Conquer" from the demo was featured on Metal Hammer's "Battle Metal V" CD with other such bands as Týr, Firewind, HammerFall and Blind Guardian.
In late 2006, drummer Doug Swierczek quit from the band and was replaced by Ian Wilson.
Napalm Records and name change
After being signed by Napalm Records, the band changed their name to Alestorm. The name change was due to the name Battleheart not fitting the band's style accurately. Their debut album, Captain Morgan's Revenge, was released in early 2008. The song "Captain Morgan's Revenge" was also featured on Metal Hammer's "Battle Metal VI."
In April 2008, the single "Heavy Metal Pirates" was released as a digital download. Ian Wilson left Alestorm temporarily in June of that year because he was unable to fully commit to the band. He was temporarily replaced by German Alex Tabisz, before rejoining the band in late August, in time for a show at Ivory Blacks in Glasgow on 29 August.
By September 2008, guitarist Gavin Harper had left the band. Tim Shaw was Harper's replacement, but after a brief period of touring, was fired from the band. To fill the guitarist position, Dani Evans switched instruments from bass to guitar, and Gareth Murdock of Waylander joined as the replacement bassist. In March 2010, Ian Wilson left the band and was replaced with a new drummer named Peter Alcorn. Alestorm's third album, Back Through Time, is Alcorn's first appearance on an Alestorm album. In October 2011, Elliot Vernon of the band Windrider joined the band's live performances as keyboard player.
A clip from Keelhauled illustrates Alestorm's style of play.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
|This section requires expansion. (November 2013)|
Alestorm play a combination of styles of metal. They are generally classified as Power Metal and Folk Metal. The band refer to themselves as "True Scottish Pirate Metal" and are identifiable by the pirate themed lyrics in their songs. Alestorm's music utilizes the upbeat style of Power Metal with many orchestrations commonly found in Folk Metal. Songs adopt a pirate sea-shanty feel, utilizing accordion synths in songs such as Keelhauled, The Sunk'n Norwegian, and I Am a Cider Drinker in order to convey a pirate feel. The band embellishes the fact that imitating pirates can be a jovial matter, using this factor of amusement to their advantage. With songs like Back through Time, in which their pirate group is described as going back in time to pillage vikings, Alestorm uses factors of absurdity to bring a jocular feel to their music.
From April to May 2009, Alestorm, Týr, Heidevolk, and Adorned Brood took part in another European tour, titled Black Sails Over Europe. A tour CD limited to 1,000 copies was released by Napalm Records, which contained three new tracks from Alestorm's second album, Black Sails at Midnight.
Alestorm played two additional tours in 2009: Paganfest in Europe and Heathenfest in the United States.
In late 2010, Alestorm toured Europe along with Sabaton, (they also played together with Sabaton at their hometown festival of Falun named Rockstad: Falun during the 28–29 May) as well as playing at Hard Rock Hell: Road Trip in Ibiza.
On 24 September, Alestorm debuted a new song from their third album called "Rum" live in Karlstad, Sweden in support of Sabaton's World War Tour. On the 17th of October, they played a cover of a Gloryhammer (a side project of keyboardist Christopher Bowes) song called "The Unicorn Invasion of Dundee" in Brighton, England.
In order to promote their third studio album Back Through Time, Alestorm went on a large world tour, entitled "The Back Through Time World Tour". The first part of the tour was held in Australia and New Zealand from 10 until 15 May., This was followed by many summer festivals in Europe including Sonisphere Festival in the UK. The band then went on to be main support for Kamelot on their headlining North American tour. This was followed by the Heidenfest European Tour also featuring Finntroll, Turisas and more.
2012 and 2013
Alestorm played on the '70000 Tons of Metal' cruise in the Caribbean. Shortly after that, the band toured around the UK and Ireland on the 'Useless Drunken Bastards' tour with Claim The Throne and Darkest Era.
The band played on the Paganfest tour of North America with Turisas and Arkona in April. In October 2012, Alestorm toured North America with Epica, Insomnium, System Divide, and Destiny Potato. Alestorm dressed as characters from Batman in honor of their Halloween performance in Toronto and introduced themselves as Christian Balestorm.
In July 2013, Alestorm played at Metalcamp and at Wacken Open Air in Germany in August.
- Current members
- Christopher Bowes – lead vocals, keyboards, (2004–present)
- Dani Evans – guitar, bass guitar (2006–2008), backing vocals (2006–present)
- Gareth Murdock – bass guitar, backing vocals (2008–present)
- Elliot Vernon – keyboards, backing vocals (2011–present)
- Peter Alcorn – drums (2010–present)
- Session members
- Alex Tabisz – drums (2008)
- Former members
- Gavin Harper – guitar, backing vocals (2004–2008)
- Doug Swierczek – drums (2006–2007)
- Robin Hellier – lead vocals (2006)
- Ian Wilson – drums, percussion (2007–2008, 2008–2010)
- Tim Shaw – guitar, backing vocals (2008)
- Interview with Alestorm in Glasgow on 2009 UK tour
- "ALESTORM". MusicMight. Retrieved 30 June 2010.
- Bowar, Chad. "Alestorm – Captain Morgan's Revenge review". About.com. Archived from the original on 26 May 2010. Retrieved 30 June 2010.
- Official Facebook Page Info Section
- "Alestorm Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved 24 March 2011.
- "Alestorm Interview A Conversation With Vocalist/Keyboardist Christopher Bowes". About.com. Retrieved 14 October 2010.
- Roadrunner records. Retrieved 1 February 2008.
- Battle Metal V at Amazon.com Retrieved 6 March 2011
- Alestorm Biography at Napalm Records Retrieved 6 March 2011
- "Heavy Metal Pirates on Amazon MP3". Amazon.com. Retrieved 16 July 2012.
- "Pagan Knights Tour Dates". About.com. Retrieved 24 March 2011.
- "BLACK SAILS OVER EUR Alestorm Tyr Heidevolk". Napalm Records. Retrieved 12 October 2010.
- Napalm Records Tour Dates. Retrieved 15 September 2009.
- "Alestorm | MySpace". Events.myspace.com. Retrieved 2010-05-25.
- "Alestorm | MySpace". Events.myspace.com. Retrieved 2010-05-25.
- Alestorm and Sabaton set for UK Tour
- HRH Announces New Bands
- ALESTORM 'BACK THROUGH TIME' Australian/ New Zealand Tour May 2011 Retrieved 6 March 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alestorm.|
- Official Alestorm page
- Alestorm at Napalm Records
- Audio Interview with Alestorm from Hard Rock Hell Festival 2008
- Video Interview with Alestorm from Metal Gods TV
- Interview with Alestorm from Teeth of the Divine
- "ALESTORM Interview with Dani Evans", Xplosive Metal, June 2011, Caroline Restiaux