as Ted Newton in Beethoven films with his St. Bernard dog, Beethoven, 1993.
|Born||Christopher Jon Castile
June 15, 1980
Orange County, California, U.S.
Christopher Jon Castile (born June 15, 1980) is a former American actor. His well-known roles include Ted Newton in Beethoven and Beethoven's 2nd, the voice of Zachary Sellers and Nick Mulligan in Focus on the Family's Adventures in Odyssey, Mark Foster on the sitcom Step by Step, and the voice of Eugene Horowitz in Hey Arnold!.
One of Castile's earliest television appearances was in a long-circulated segment of Totally For Kids, kid safety interstitials that aired on the Fox network's Saturday morning lineup in the early 1990s. In one segment, he portrayed a young boy who was followed by a group of kids (the main characters of the "safety patrol") because he had his named printed on his shirt, as a way to address the dangers of name display for strangers (or possible abductors) to see. The Totally For Kids segments also featured John Walsh.
Shortly after, Castile appeared in the Miller-Boyett sitcom Going Places in early 1991, playing the recurring role of Sam Roberts, the son of talk show host Dick Roberts (Steve Vinovich) with co-stars Alan Ruck and Heather Locklear. Castile and his fellow Going Places cast member Staci Keanan were soon moved by Miller/Boyett into their forthcoming sitcom Step By Step, that premiered on ABC in the fall of 1991. He and Keanan played brother and sister Mark and Dana, on the Foster family side, for the entire run of Step by Step, which moved to CBS in 1997 and then ended in 1998.
Meanwhile, in 1992 and 1993, he played Ted Newton in the films Beethoven and Beethoven's 2nd. In 1996, while continuing on Step by Step, Castile added the vocal role of Eugene Horowitz on the animated series Hey Arnold!. Castile left Hey Arnold! after only eight episodes; he was replaced as the voice of Eugene by Jarrett Lennon, the actor originally cast as Mark Foster on Step By Step in 1991 before the producers replaced him with Castile.
Castile retired from acting following the cancellation of Step By Step. He currently resides in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and is a Political Science professor at Biola University with Master's Degree.
- My Two Dads, "To Thine Own Elf Be True" (1990)
- Hurricane Sam (TV movie, 1990) — Neil Gianelli
- The Fanelli Boys, "Tarnished Angel" (1990) — Timmy
- Empty Nest, "Barbara the Mom" (1990) — Barry
- Going Places (1991) — Sam Roberts (3 episodes)
- The Family Man, "Trading Places" (1991) — Lowell
- Step by Step (1991–1998) — Mark Foster
- Empty Nest, "Final Analysis" (1992) — Larry
- Are You Afraid of the Dark?, "The Tale of Prisoner's Past" (1995) — Jason
- Hey Arnold! (1996–1997) — Eugene Horowitz
Awards and nominations
- 1992: Nominated, "Best Young Actor Starring in a Television Series" - Step by Step
- 1992: Nominated, "Best Young Actor Starring in a Motion Picture" - Beethoven
- 1993: Nominated, "Outstanding Youth Ensemble in a Television Series" - Step by Step (shared w/cast)
- 1994: Nominated, "Best Performance by a Youth Ensemble in a Motion Picture" - Beethoven's 2nd (shared w/cast)
- 1996: Nominated, "Best Performance by a Young Actor in a TV Comedy Series" - Step by Step
- "Fourteenth Annual Youth in Film Awards: 1991–1992." Young Artist Award, 2012. Web. 08 Feb. 2012 .
- "Fifteenth Annual Youth in Film Awards: 1992–1993." Young Artist Award, 2012. Web. 08 Feb. 2012 .
- "Sixteenth Annual Youth in Film Awards: 1993–1994." Young Artist Award, 2012. Web. 08 Feb. 2012 .
- "Seventeenth Annual Youth in Film Awards: 1994–1995." Young Artist Award, 2012. Web. 08 Feb. 2012 .