15 April 1956 |
Belfast, Northern Ireland
|Alma mater||University of York
University of Oxford
|Notable awards||Fellow of the Royal Society|
Christopher Dye FRS, FMedSci is Director of Health Information in the Office of HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, Malaria and Neglected Tropical Diseases at the World Health Organization and, from 2006–2009, was also Gresham Professor of Physic in the City of London.
Chris Dye began professional life as an ecologist in the UK, having been awarded a first-class degree in biology from the University of York and a DPhil in zoology from the University of Oxford. After developing an interest in infectious diseases at Imperial College London, he moved to the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine to bring his research closer to public health. He was head of the School’s Vector Biology and Epidemiology Unit until 1996, carrying out research on leishmaniasis, malaria, rabies and other infectious and zoonotic diseases in Africa, Asia and South America.
In 1996, he joined the World Health Organization where he has developed methods for using national surveillance and survey data to study the large-scale dynamics and control of tuberculosis (TB) and other communicable diseases. Working with governments and other agencies he is continuously engaged in the process of translating science into health policy. From 2006–2009, he was Professor of Physic at Gresham College, 35th in a lineage of professors that have been giving public lectures in the City of London since 1597. He is Epidemiology Advisor to the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (as 戴诗磊), a Visiting Professor of Zoology at the University of Oxford, a member of the Board of Reviewing Editors for Science, and a Fellow of The Royal Society and of The Academy of Medical Sciences.
- Dye, C.; Williams, B. G.; Espinal, M. A.; Raviglione, M. C. (2002). "Erasing the World's Slow Stain: Strategies to Beat Multidrug-Resistant Tuberculosis". Science 295 (5562): 2042–2046. doi:10.1126/science.1063814. PMID 11896268.
- Williams, B. G.; Dye, C. (2003). "Antiretroviral Drugs for Tuberculosis Control in the Era of HIV/AIDS". Science 301 (5639): 1535–1537. doi:10.1126/science.1086845. PMID 12920302.
- China Tuberculosis Control Collaboration (2004). "The effect of tuberculosis control in China". The Lancet 364 (9432): 417–422. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(04)16764-0. PMID 15288739.
- Dye, C.; Watt, C. J.; Bleed, D. M.; Hosseini, S. M.; Raviglione, M. C. (2005). "Evolution of Tuberculosis Control and Prospects for Reducing Tuberculosis Incidence, Prevalence, and Deaths Globally". JAMA: the Journal of the American Medical Association 293 (22): 2767–2775. doi:10.1001/jama.293.22.2767. PMID 15941807.
- Trunz, B. B.; Fine, P. E. M.; Dye, C. (2006). "Effect of BCG vaccination on childhood tuberculous meningitis and miliary tuberculosis worldwide: A meta-analysis and assessment of cost-effectiveness". The Lancet 367 (9517): 1173–1180. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(06)68507-3. PMID 16616560.
- Tuberculosis, in Disease control priorities in developing countries, DT Jamison, et al., Editors. 2006, Oxford University Press: Washington D.C. p. 289.
- Young, D.; Dye, C. (2006). "The Development and Impact of Tuberculosis Vaccines". Cell 124 (4): 683–687. doi:10.1016/j.cell.2006.02.013. PMID 16497578.
- Granich, R. M.; Gilks, C. F.; Dye, C.; De Cock, K. M.; Williams, B. G. (2009). "Universal voluntary HIV testing with immediate antiretroviral therapy as a strategy for elimination of HIV transmission: A mathematical model". The Lancet 373 (9657): 48. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(08)61697-9.
- Global tuberculosis control: surveillance, planning, financing. World Health Organization, 12 volumes 1997-2008.
- Dye, C.; Williams, B. G. (2010). "The Population Dynamics and Control of Tuberculosis". Science 328 (5980): 856–861. doi:10.1126/science.1185449. PMID 20466923.
- Dye, C. (2012). "National and international policies to mitigate disease threats". Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 367 (1604): 2893–2900. doi:10.1098/rstb.2011.0373.
- Dye, C.; Glaziou, P.; Floyd, K.; Raviglione, M. (2012). "Prospects for Tuberculosis Elimination". Annual Review of Public Health 34: 121217115642006. doi:10.1146/annurev-publhealth-031912-114431.
- Research for Universal Health Coverage. World Health Report 2013. World Health Organization.
- http://royalsociety.org/people/christopher-dye/ Dr Christopher Dye FMedSci FRS
- "The Royal Society: Welcome". http://www.royalsociety.org.
- "Welcome to the Academy of Medical Sciences". http://www.acmedsci.ac.uk.
- "Tuberculosis". www.who.int. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- "World Health Report". www.who.int. Retrieved 2013-08-15.
- "PubMed – Author's Articles". www.pubmed.gov. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- "Google Scholar Citations".
- "BBC In Our Time - Audio and Video". bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-06-06.
- "Gresham College - Audio and Video". www.gresham.ac.uk. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- "YouTube - Audio and Video". www.youtube.com. Retrieved 2010-06-06.
- "Emerging Powers Going Global". britac.ac.uk. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- "Videos on royalsociety.tv". royalsociety.org. Retrieved 2013-09-25.