Christopher Guy Harrison
|Christopher Guy Harrison|
|Born||September 3, 1960|
|Awards||2004 - Outstanding Design awarded by the British Interior Design Association
2010 – Certificate of Excellence awarded by HA+D in the loose furniture category
2011 - Design Icon awarded by the World Market Center Las Vegas and Las Vegas Design Center
Christopher Guy Harrison (born September 3, 1960) is a British born luxury furniture designer . He is the founder and head designer of the international furnishings brand Christopher Guy. Originally known for a wide range of decorative mirrors, the Christopher Guy brand grew into a collection of upholstery, chairs, dining tables, sofas, headboards and office furniture. Christopher's signature design includes the patented Chris-X (pronounced kris-krôs) leg design.
Christopher Guy Harrison was born in Britain and raised in Spain and France. He drew on his international background to fuse design influences from around the world. In 1993, Christopher formed Harrison & Gil. The company then expanded by offering a complete lifestyle and luxury furniture collection in 2005. It re-launched under the brand name Christopher Guy. In 1999, Christopher designed and built a one million square foot workshop complex in Java in order to accommodate the 1,400 carvers, woodcarvers and specialist finishers that craft his designs. Today, Christopher resides in London where he has his headquarters and travels around the world particularly to Java and Los Angeles.
USA Flagship Design Lounge
In October 2009, Christopher Guy opened his 2,400-square-foot (220 m2) USA Flagship Design Lounge in Beverly Hills. The lounge, complete with plasma TV's mounted on the walls for interactive viewing, showcases his newest collection of the year.
Christopher Guy furniture designs reflect a contemporary mood with classic values. His Chris-X leg design is patented across the USA, China and Europe. This signature design is seen throughout his collections and was inspired by the corseted waist-line of Scarlett O'hara in Gone with the Wind and the crossed legs of a ballerina. “My aim was to design a chair that was simple, sophisticated and flexible enough to work with a variety of style categories,” said Christopher.
The British Interior Design Association awarded Christopher Guy the Outstanding Design award in 2004. The World Market Center Las Vegas and Las Vegas Design Center recognized Christopher Guy as the 2011 Design Icon on 27 January 2011. The Design Icon award celebrates modern-day design legends and gives them a platform to share their stories and inspire others. Past Design Icon recipients include Juan Montoya, Vicente Wolf, Roger Thomas, Vladimir Kagan and Larry Laslo. He was awarded an honorary doctorate from Otis College of Art and Design in May 2014.
Hotels:*Divan Asia Hotel, Turkey*St. Clemente Palace, Venice*The Trump Plaza, New York*The Savoy, London*The Beverly Wilshire, California*The Ritz-Carlton properties*The Bellegio, Las Vegas*The Venetian, Las Vegas*Encore, Las VegasFilms:*2010, The Resident*2009, Hotel room design The Hangover*2006, Casino Royale*2006, The Devil Wears Prada*2007, Stardust*2007, Sleuth*2007, Room 1408*2007, Ocean’s Thirteen
- Opus, Scarlet (June 12, 2009). "Christopher Guy - Bringing Luxury Home". UK Trends Blog. Retrieved 2009-07-25.[dead link]
- "Harrison & Gil - Crossing innovation with timeless design". Bridge 4 Design pg. 26-27. September 5, 2005.
- Christy, George (October 23, 2009). "George Christy's Pick of the Week: The Chanel of Furniture". Beverly Hills Courier.
- "Designer Q&A with Christopher Guy". NM Insite blog. February 10, 2009. Retrieved 2009-07-25.
- "World Market Center to honor Christopher Guy as Design Icon". Furniture Today. December 6, 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-23.
- "British designer’s line ideal for those who like pretty seats with silhouettes". National Post. July 17, 2009. Retrieved 2009-07-25.[dead link]
- Magner, Erin (July 17, 2009). "Storecasting: "Christopher Guy Furniture Sexes Up Beverly Hills"". LA racked. Retrieved 2009-07-25.
- "INTERIOR DESIGNER ARRIVED WITH EIGHT LORRIES FILLED WITH FURNITURE". Sabah English. December 16, 2009. Retrieved 2010-01-20.