Christopher Hill (bishop)
|The Rt Revd
MTh BD AKC
|Bishop of Guildford|
|Diocese||Diocese of Guildford|
|Other posts||Clerk of the Closet
Bishop of Stafford
May 1970 (priest)
|Born||10 October 1945|
|Residence||Willow Grange, Guildford|
|Alma mater||King's College London|
Christopher John Hill (born 10 October 1945) was the Bishop of Guildford (from 2004) and the Clerk of the Closet in the Ecclesiastical Household of the Royal Household of the Sovereign of the United Kingdom from 2005.
Education and early career
Hill was educated at Sebright School and at King's College London (BD, MTh, AKC). He served his first curacy at Tividale in the Diocese of Lichfield from 1969 to 1973; he was then curate of Codsall from 1973 to 1974. From 1974 to 1981 he was the Archbishop of Canterbury's Assistant Chaplain for Foreign Relations and from 1982 to 1989 his Secretary for Ecumenical Affairs. From 1982 to 1989 he was also an honorary canon of Canterbury Cathedral. From 1987 to 1996 he was a chaplain to the Queen. In 1989 he became a canon residentiary and the Precentor of St Paul's Cathedral, London. Prior to his current appointment, he had been the suffragan Bishop of Stafford in the Diocese of Lichfield from 1996.
Hill has been continuously involved in ecumenical affairs throughout his ministry. From 1974 to 1981 he was Co-Secretary of the Anglican-Roman Catholic International Commission. In 2013 he was elected president of the Council of European Churches.
In July 2009, Hill courted controversy over interference in another church's affairs by admonishing the Church of Sweden on their decision to approve same-sex marriage, sending a strongly worded letter to the head of the Church of Sweden, Archbishop Anders Wejryd, warning of "immediate and negative ecumenical consequences" owing to the decision.
On 28 March 2013, during his sermon at the Maundy Thursday Chrism Eucharist in Guildford Cathedral, he announced his intention to retire as Bishop of Guildford saying: "At the end of September, though I have not yet written the necessary formal letters to Queen and Archbishop, I shall hope to see many of you here for a farewell celebration for my retirement."
- Christopher Hill Esq (1945–1969)
- The Revd Christopher Hill (1969–1989)
- The Revd Canon Christopher Hill (1989–1996)
- The Rt Revd Christopher Hill (1996—present)
- Church of England — Bishop of Guildford
- BBC News — Guildford's Bishop marks 40 years of ministry
- Beckford, Martin. Church of England bishops fear for 'fragile unity' of Anglicanism over new gay marriage moves. London: Daily Telegraph. 11 July 2009
- Church of Sweden says yes to gay marriage. The Local: Sweden's News in English. 22 October 2009. Retrieved July 2010 from http://www.thelocal.se/22810/20091022/
- Hill, CJ – Renewal of Ministries and Blessing of Oils (Sermon), Maundy Thursday 2013, Guildford Cathedral
- "Bishops and Senior Staff". Diocese of Guildford. n.d. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "Diocesan representatives elected as process to select a new bishop begins". Diocese of Guildford. 9 January 2014. Retrieved February 10, 2014.
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Stafford
|Bishop of Guildford
Ian Brackley (Suffragan Bishop of Dorking and Bishop Commissary during the Vacancy-in-See)
|Clerk of the Closet