|Born||15 September 1962|
Christopher Hamlin Martenson is an economic researcher, writer and trend forecaster interested in macro trends regarding the economy, energy composition and environment. He is the founder of PeakProsperity.com.
Education and career in the pharmaceutical industry
Martenson was originally trained as a scientist. He obtained a PhD degree in pathology at Duke University in 1994 and an MBA degree from Cornell University in 1998. He followed a post-doctoral program at Duke University, where he specialized in neurotoxicology. Martenson is a fellow of the Post Carbon Institute.
Views on the economy
In his writings and in interviews with various media outlets, Martenson regularly warns his audience of economic crises. In 2010, he predicted a new era of stagflation, in which monetary inflation outpaces economic growth, or even simultaneous stagflation and deflation. In 2012, Martenson warned of a liquidity crisis. He has recommended that consumers take steps to prepare themselves for "peak oil", after which he asserts that recovery of petroleum resources will decline. According to Martenson, large changes related to economic, energy, and environmental factors will occur in the near future (2015-2020).
He has cautioned:
The big story is this: The world has physical limits that we are already encountering, but our economy operates as if no physical limits exist. Our economy requires growth. I don’t mean growth is required as if its written in a legal document somewhere, but is required in the sense that our economy only functions well when its growing. With growth, jobs are created and debts are serviced. Without growth, jobs, opportunities, and the ability to repay past debts simply and mysteriously disappear, causing economic pain and confusion. 
- Current opinion in neurobiology, 1991–Oct, vol. 1 (issue 3): pp. 393–398
- Fast axonal transport is required for growth cone advance, Nature, 366, 66–69 (4 November 1993)
- Acrylamide neurotoxicity: effect on neuronal growth cones and axonal fast transport, a Duke University thesis, Ph.D. M377A 1994 LSC.
- In Vitro Acrylamide exposure alters growth cone morphology, Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, Volume 131, Issue 1, March 1995, pp. 119–129
- The effect of acrylamide and other sulfhydryl alkylators on the ability of Dynein and Kinesin to translocate microtubules in Vitro, Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, Volume 133, Issue 1, July 1995, pp. 73–81
- Calmodulin dynamics within intact hippocampal cells,[dead link] Duke University, 1F32NS010263-01 (1996)
- Inhibition of Lyn function in mast cell activation by SH3 domain binding peptides, Biochemistry, 1997, 36 (31), pp. 9388–9394
- Internal trafficking and surface mobility of a functionally intact beta 2-adrenergic receptor – green fluorescent protein conjugate, Molecular Pharmacology, 51:177–184 (1997)
- Fed Holds the Line Michelle A. Samaad, Credit Union Times, June 26, 2013.
- "Chris Martenson". postcarbon.org. 2013. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- About Chris Martenson- website peakprosperity.com
- Chris Martenson: The U.S. Economy Is 'Dangerously Close' To Experiencing Stagflation Huffington Post, August 9, 2010.
- Chris Martenson: Here Comes Inflation AND Deflation Joe Weisenthal, Business Insider, August 9, 2010.
- Things Could Get Ugly If U.S. Treasury Bonds Keep Rising ETF Daily News, June 24, 2013.
- Interview With Chris Martenson: "Prepare For peak Oil While There Is Time" Alexander Ac, CounterCurrents, November 16, 2010.
- Interview with Chris Martenson Rob Hopkins, Transition Culture, June 08, 2010.
- Martenson, Chris (2011). The Crash Course; The Unsustainable Future of our Economy, Eneregy, and the Environment. John Wiley and Sons. p. 4. ISBN 978-0-470-92764-9.
- http://PeakProsperity.com Martenson's website