Christopher Moore (author)
Author Christopher Moore signing a copy of Bite Me at Politics & Prose in Washington, DC.
1 January 1957 |
Toledo, Ohio, U.S.
|Genres||Humor, fantasy, horror, absurdist fiction, comic fantasy, Mystery fiction, Adventure fiction|
Christopher Moore (born 1957 in Toledo, Ohio) is an American writer of comic fantasy. He grew up in Mansfield, Ohio, and attended Ohio State University and Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, California.
Moore was an only child, and learned to amuse himself with his imagination. He loved reading as a child, and his father brought him plenty of books back from the library every week. He started writing around the age of twelve, and realised that this was his talent by the time he was 16, and he began to consider making it his career.
Moore's novels typically involve conflicted everyman characters struggling through supernatural or extraordinary circumstances. His humanism is inherited from his love of John Steinbeck and a sense of the absurd from Kurt Vonnegut. With the possible exceptions of Fool, and Sacré Bleu, all his books take place in the same universe and characters appear interchangeably from novel to novel.
According to his interview in the June 2007 issue of Writer's Digest, the film rights to Moore's first novel, Practical Demonkeeping (1992), were purchased by Disney even before the book had a publisher. In answer to repeated questions from fans over the years, Moore stated that all of his books have been optioned or sold for films, but that as yet "none of them are in any danger of being made into a movie." However, in 2012, IMDB lists a film version of "The Stupidest Angel" in production, due out October 2013.
- Practical Demonkeeping (1992) St. Martin's ISBN 9781841494470
- Coyote Blue (1994) Simon & Schuster ISBN 0-06-073543-0
- Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story (1995) Simon & Schuster ISBN 0-684-81097-2
- Island of the Sequined Love Nun (1997) Avon ISBN 0-06-073544-9
- The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove (1999) Spike/Avon ISBN 0-06-059027-0
- Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal (2002) William Morrow ISBN 0-380-81381-5
- Fluke, or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings (2003) William Morrow ISBN 0-380-97841-5
- The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror (2004) William Morrow ISBN 0-06-084235-0
- The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror, v. 2.0 (2005) -- contains the same text as the above, with an additional 35-page short story at the end
- A Dirty Job (2006) for General Fiction for 2006) William Morrow ISBN 0-06-059027-0
- You Suck: A Love Story (2007) William Morrow ISBN 0-06-059029-7
- Fool (2009) William Morrow ISBN 0-06-059031-9
- Bite Me: A Love Story (2010) William Morrow ISBN 978-0-06-177972-5
- Sacré Bleu (2012) ISBN 978-0-06-177974-9
Short stories 
- "Our Lady of the Fishnet Stockings" (1987)
- "Cat's Karma" (1987)
Other works 
- The Griff (a graphic novel co-written with Ian Corson and illustrated by Jennyson Rosero) ISBN 978-0-06-197752-7
- "Cambria Author" profile on Cambria, CA website, July 1996.
- Questions and Answers with Christopher Moore - Hortorian.com
- Author Interview at Borders book signing
- "The WD Interview: Christopher Moore," Writer's Digest, June 2007, pp. 58–62.
- Official website
- Christopher Moore (author) at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Questions and Answers with Christoper Moore - Hortorian.com
- Author Interview at Book Reviews and More.