Christopher Brendan Reginald Pelling is the Regius Professor of Greek, Faculty of Classics at Christ Church, Oxford. He is President of the Hellenic Society and is a representative for the Society at the Institute of Classical Studies Advisory Council.
Biography is in fashion: one has only to scan the shelves in W. H. Smith’s to see that.
And we all know what biographies and autobiographies are, don’t we? They start at the beginning: so many autobiographies open with those depressing words ‘I was born...’.
— Christopher Pelling, inaugural lecture , 20 May 2004
Educated at Cardiff High School, Pelling in the 1970s was a Senior Scholar at Christ Church and then spent twenty-nine years as Fellow and Praelector in Classics at University College, Oxford. He broke new ground through applying literary analysis to historical texts, ranging from Tacitus to Plutarch. At the same time, he was a generous tutor, well regarded by students. He returned to Christ Church in 2003 when he became Regius Professor of Greek. He was elected a Fellow of the British Academy in 2009.
I would especially commend Pelling's paper, an illuminating study of ancient biography with a neat twist in the tail ... stimulating collection.
— Times Literary Supplement review of Characterization and Individuality in Greek Literature
Radio and TV appearances
- 2008-01-07, BBC Radio 3, The Essay – Greek And Latin Voices
- Pelling, Christopher (1990), Characterization and individuality in Greek literature, Clarendon Press, ISBN 0-19-814058-4
- Pelling, Christopher (2000), Literary texts and the Greek historian, Routledge, ISBN 0-203-01027-2
- Pelling, Christopher (2002), Plutarch and History: Eighteen Studies, London: Classical Press of Wales, ISBN 0-7156-3128-4
- Grimston, Jack (2007-08-12), "A-level Latin and Greek to become ancient history", Sunday Times (London)
- Business card at Oxford University
- Bryn Mawr Classical Review Book review for Characterization and Individuality in Greek Literature
- Christopher Pelling at the Internet Movie Database
- Works by or about Christopher Pelling in libraries (WorldCat catalog)