||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012)|
|Full name||Christopher Pugsley|
|Region||United Kingdom, New Zealand|
|Main interests||Military history, especially World War I|
Christopher Pugsley (born 1947) is a New Zealand military historian.
He became interested in writing in 1984 when, as a career army officer, he authored a book and worked on a television documentary about New Zealand's involvement in the Gallipoli campaign. In 1987, he left his position of infantry lieutenant-colonel to dedicate himself to a new career as historian. In 1994, he became Writing Fellow at the Victoria University of Wellington. He then taught at University of New England, Australia from 1996 to 1999. He is currently Senior Lecturer in War Studies at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst and Adjunct Senior Fellow at New Zealand's University of Canterbury.
During the 1990s he wrote a series of detailed articles called "Walking the Waikato Wars",in the now defunct New Zealand Defence Quarterly, in which he visited each Waikato Battle site and reviewed each battle through the eyes of a modern professional military officer using photographs and maps to illustrate events. Often he came to very different conclusions about tactics and military outcomes compared to untrained military writers.
His primary area of interest is 20th-century New Zealand, Australian, Canadian and British Commonwealth military history, with particular focus on Gallipoli, and the Western Front.
He is published as Chris Pugsley and Christopher Pugsley.
- Pugsley, C. & Holdsworth, A; Sandhurst: A Tradition of Leadership (2005: Third Millennium) ISBN 978-1-903942-39-0
- Pugsley, C. Operation Cobra (Battle Zone Normandy) (2004: Sutton) ISBN 978-0-7509-3015-4
- Pugsley, C. From Emergency to Confrontation: The New Zealand Armed Forces in Malaya and Borneo 1949-1966 (2003: OUP Australia and New Zealand) ISBN 978-0-19-558453-0
- Pugsley, C. The Anzac Experience: New Zealand, Australia and Empire in the First World War (2001: Reed New Zealand) ISBN 978-0-7900-0941-4
- Pugsley, C. Anzac: The New Zealanders at Gallipoli (2000: Reed New Zealand) ISBN 978-1-86948-838-3
- Pugsley, C. & Moses, J. The German Empire and Britain's Pacific Dominions (2000: Regina) ISBN 978-1-930053-00-7
- Pugsley, C. The Anzacs at Gallipoli: A Story for Anzac Day (1999: Reed New Zealand) ISBN
- Pugsley, C. Gallipoli: the New Zealand Story (1998: Reed New Zealand) ISBN 978-0-7900-0585-0
- Pugsley, C. Scars on the heart: Two centuries of New Zealand at war (1996: Auckland Museum) ISBN 978-1-86953-301-4
- Pugsley, C. Te Hokowhitu a Tu: the Maori Pioneer Battalion in the First World War (1995: Reed New Zealand) ISBN 978-0-7900-0439-6
- Pugsley, C. On the Fringe of Hell (1991: Hodder & Stoughton) ISBN 978-0-340-53321-5