Christopher Smith (academic)
Christopher John Smith, FSA(Scot), FRHistS, FSA, FRSA (born 1965 in Aylesbury, England) is a British academic and classicist specialising in early Ancient Rome. He is the current Director of the British School at Rome and Professor of Ancient History at the University of St Andrews.
His research explores constitutionalism and state formation with particular emphasis on the development of Rome as a political and social community and how this was represented in ancient historical writing and subsequent political thought.
Among his publications are:
- Early Rome and Latium: Economy and Society c. 1000 to 500 BC
- The Roman Clan: The Gens from Ancient Ideology to Modern Anthropology
- Roman Autobiography and the Memoirs of Augustus A Powell, CJ Smith (eds)
- Praise and Blame in Roman Republican Oratory CJ Smith, RJ Covino (eds)
- Imperialism, Cultural Politics, and Polybius CJ Smith, LM Yarrow (eds)
- "Staff and Fellows". The British School at Rome. Retrieved 5 June 2012.
- "Prof. Christopher Smith". University of St Andrews.
- "Appointment to British School at Rome". Keble College, Oxford University. 18 May 2009. Retrieved 5 June 2012.
- "New role for Vice-Principal". University of St Andrews. 21 April 2009.
- Christopher John Smith - Research publications - University of St Andrews