Christopher Spencer Foote
|Christopher Spencer Foote|
|Born||June 5, 1935
|Died||June 13, 2005
Santa Monica, California
|Alma mater||Yale University, Harvard University|
|Doctoral advisor||Robert Burns Woodward|
|Known for||Singlet oxygen|
Arthur C. Cope Award
Christopher Spencer Foote (June 5, 1935 – June 13, 2005) was a professor of chemistry at UCLA and an expert in reactive oxygen species, in particular, singlet oxygen. He published 259 articles, editorials, and notes. He was cited over 14,000 times with an average of 450 citations per year since 1989. He has an h-index of 67. He was also known for his textbook Organic Chemistry (with Brown and Iverson; 5th ed., Brooks/Cole Pub Co., ISBN 978-0-495-38857-9).
The American Chemical Society gave him their Baekeland award in 1975, named him a Cope Scholar in 1994, and gave him the Tolman Medal in 1996. In 2000 an international symposium in honor of his 65th birthday was held in Hawaii. The Christopher S. Foote Chair of chemistry at UCLA, currently held by Omar M. Yaghi, is named after him.
- B.S. Yale University (1957)
- Ph.D. Harvard University, Organic Chemistry, (1962)
Research advisor, R.B. Woodward, "Angle strain and solvolytic reactivity in bridged bicyclic systems."
Research and Teaching Appointments
- Assistant Professor, University of California, Los Angeles, 1962–1969
- Professor, University of California, Los Angeles, 1969–2005
Reactive oxygen species
C70 and C60 as photosensitizers
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (December 2010)|
- Greer, A. "Christopher Foote's Discovery of the Role of Singlet Oxygen (1O2, 1Δg) in Photosensitized Oxidation Reactions", Accounts of Chemical Research 2006, 39, 797-804
- ISI Science Citation Index citation report excluding meeting abstracts and corrections. Accessed Feb 2, 2009.
- Jensen, Frank; Ogilby, Peter R. (2005), "Christopher S. Foote (1935-2005): Singlet Oxygen", Angewandte Chemie International Edition 44 (39): 6268, doi:10.1002/anie.200502934.
- UCLA Chemist Christopher Spencer Foote Died at Age 70, UCLA Chemistry Department.
- Photos from Foote symposium.
- Harvard HOLLIS search, author: Christopher Spencer Foote, Thesis (Ph. D.)--Harvard University, 1962.
- Jenny Chen, K.N. Houk, and Christopher S. Foote * "Theoretical Study of the Concerted and Stepwise Mechanisms of Triazolinedione Diels-Alder Reactions" J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1998, 120, 12303-12309.
- Ferran Prat, K.N. Houk* and Christopher S. Foote*, "Effect of Guanine Stacking on the Oxidation of 8-Oxo-guanine in B-DNA," J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1998, 120, 845-846.
|This biographical article about an American chemist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|