Charles T. Meide
Charles T. Meide, Jr., known as Chuck Meide, (born 1971) is an underwater and maritime archaeologist and currently the Director of LAMP (Lighthouse Archaeological Maritime Program), the research arm of the St. Augustine Lighthouse & Museum located in St. Augustine, Florida.     Meide was born in Jacksonville, Florida, and raised in the nearby coastal town of Atlantic Beach. He earned BA and MA degrees in Anthropology with a focus in underwater archaeology in 1993 and 2001 from Florida State University, where he studied under George R. Fischer, and undertook Ph.D. studies in Historical Archaeology at the College of William and Mary starting the following year. Meide has participated in a wide array of shipwreck and maritime archaeological projects across the U.S., especially in Florida, and throughout the Caribbean and Ireland. From 1995 to 1997 he participated in the search for, discovery, and total excavation of La Salle's shipwreck, La Belle, lost in 1686. In 1999 he directed the Dog Island Shipwreck Project, a comprehensive maritime survey of the waters around a barrier island off the coast of Franklin County, Florida, and between 2004 and 2006 he directed the Achill Island Maritime Archaeology Project off the coast of County Mayo, Ireland. Since taking over as Director of LAMP in 2006, he has directed the First Coast Maritime Archaeology Project, a state-funded research and educational program focusing on shipwrecks and other maritime archaeological resources in the offshore and inland waters of Northeast Florida . In 2009, during this project, Meide discovered the "Storm Wreck," a ship from the final fleet to evacuate British troops and Loyalist refugees from Charleston at the end of the Revolutionary War, which wrecked trying to enter St. Augustine on 31 December 1782. He has led the ongoing archaeological excavation of this shipwreck site each summer thereafter.
On July 10, 2014, the St. Augustine Lighthouse & Museum announced at a press conference that Meide would lead an expedition to search for the lost French fleet of Jean Ribault, wrecked in 1565. The search area is located in Canaveral National Seashore waters, and is to be carried out in partnership with the National Park Service, the State of Florida, NOAA's Office of Ocean Exploration, the Center for Historical Archaeology, and the Institute of Maritime History.
Chuck Meide has served on the Board of the Institute of Maritime History since 2005, and was named Vice President in 2009.
- http://www.staugustinelighthouse.com/ St. Augustine Lighthouse & Museum webpage
- http://www.staugustinelighthouse.org/LAMP/About_LAMP/LAMP_team LAMP Team, Lighthouse Archaeological Maritime Program webpage
- http://web.wm.edu/so/agsc/GradResearch/ctmeid/ctmeid.htm Graduate Student Research, Department of Anthropology, College of William & Mary webpage
- http://www.blogstaugustinelighthouse.org/blog/lampposts/ Keeper's Blog: LAMPosts Blog
- http://staugustine.com/stories/010506/new_3555003.shtml St. Augustine Record, Lighthouse Names Director for Marine Archaeology, 5 January 2006
- http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/082097/web820__.html Jacksonville.com: Best bets on the Net: 8/20/97
- http://books.google.com/books?id=Mhsna6ALFjgC&printsec=frontcover&dq=from+a+watery+grave&source=bl&ots=w9eJGv_eOy&sig=2SfBSSFHnWeB1TgMwqjwVpsyotA&hl=en&ei=a39uTLGMDILGlQfRvemqDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCYQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false Bruseth, James E. and Turner, Toni S. 2005 From a Watery Grave: The Discovery and Excavation of La Salle's Shipwreck, La Belle. Texas A&M University Press, College Station, Texas, p. 40, ISBN 1-58544-347-6
- http://dhr.dos.state.fl.us/archaeology/underwater/fsu_pua/docs/PUAResearchReport04.pdf Meide et al. 2000 Dog Island Shipwreck Survey 1999: Report of Historical and Archaeological Investigations, FSU Program in Underwater Archaeology Research Reports No. 4
- http://www.maritimehistory.org/content/achill-island-maritime-archaeology-project Achill Island Maritime Archaeology Project, Institute of Maritime History webpage
- http://www.staugustinelighthouse.org/LAMP/Research/achill-island Achill Island Maritime Archaeology Project, Lighthouse Archaeological Maritime Program webpage
- http://www.staugustinelighthouse.org/LAMP/Research/first-coast-maritime-archaeology-project First Coast Maritime Archaeology Project, Lighthouse Archaeological Maritime Program webpage
- http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2014-07-10/story/archaeologists-mount-search-lost-french-fleet-1565 Florida Times-Union, Archaeologists mount search for lost French fleet of 1565, 10 July 2014
- Texas Historical Commission La Salle Shipwreck Project
- Achill Island Maritime Archaeology Project
- Institute of Maritime History
- Lighthouse Archaeological Maritime Program (LAMP)
- Meide's written works on Academia.edu