|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2011)|
Chugai Travel Co., Ltd. (中外旅行社 Chugai Ryokousha?) is a travel agency based in Taitō, Tokyo, Japan. It is a Zainichi Korean Chongryon-affiliated company that caters international travels and especially international travels to North Korea. Its current CEO is Han Jeong-chi (한정치, 韓正治). It also has package deals for people with Japanese passports to tour North Korea. Although the package deals for groups were discontinued under the guidance of JATA (Japan Association of Travel Agents). Chugai Travel functions as the Japanese branch office of Air Koryo and the Korea International Travel Company.
Relevancy in Japan
There are two main activities in Chugai Travel. First, it is the mainstay travel agency for Koreans living in Japan who have North Korean passports. It also caters its services to the Chousenseki residents (Koreans born and reside in Japan without any nationality affiliation). Second, it is the first and only travel agency in Japan that is directly connected to North Korea. It does, however, provide its package services to other agencies. Chugai Travel promotes the North Korean official tour brand called Koryo Tour (コリョツアー). So forth, Chugai Travel is the only travel agency mentioned in the Choson Sinbo's Japanese language travel book, The Beauty of Chosun (朝鮮 魅力の旅).
Relationship with North Korea
- It arranged an investment tour in the Rajin-Sonbong Economic Special Zone in 1996.
- It made a failed attempt to expand a government-orchestrated tour package of the Pyongyang Mass Game to American tourists in 1997.
Air Routes to North Korea
Chugai Travel provides tourist packages through China and Russia.
- Through Beijing
- Through Shenyang
- Through Vladivostok
- "CHUGAI TRAVEL CO., LTD.". World Travel Server. Retrieved 5 November 2012.
- "Introduction to A Tour of Rajin-Sonbong Region". North Korea Government. Retrieved 5 November 2012.
- "[북한관광상품 판매동향] 북한상품 판매동향 (Overview of North Korean Tour Services)" (in Korean). Retrieved 2011-03-25.
from Korean Tourist Organization (South Korea)
- 일본 기업들, 북한의 나진.선봉지대 투자 냉담. iMBC (in Korean). 1996-07-13. Retrieved 2011-03-25.
- Nam (남), Mun-hui (문희) (1997-04-10). 북한, 대규모 서방 관광단 모집. SisaJournal (in Korean). Retrieved 2011-03-25.
- (Japanese) Chugai Travel