Chung King Road
Chung King Road is a pedestrian street in the northwest corner of Chinatown, Los Angeles. This street is a part of "New Chinatown," built in the 1930s and 1940s, and is the location of Chinese specialty shops and art importers. In the late 1990s many of the storefronts were sitting unused, and several of them were converted into art galleries. Chung King Road is now one of the centers of art and nightlife in Downtown Los Angeles. Annual events include Chinese New Year and the Golden Dragon Parade, The Moon Festival, KCRW's Chinatown Summer Nights, the closing party of LA's Design Week and the Perform! Now! Festival.
Chung King Road is home to the following galleries and businesses:
- Alex Cheung Company
- Automata Arts, performance space specializing in experimental puppetry
- Caryl M. Christian Levy, artist
- Charlie James Gallery
- Ed Freeman Photography
- Exhale Unlimited Gallery
- F. See, antiques
- Fifth Floor, shop and gallery
- Good Luck Gallery
- Hong Sang Lung Market, since 1949
- Hoy Sun Ning Yung Association
- Jancar Gallery
- Li Yuen Gifts
- KChung Radio
- KK Gallery
- Mirror Films
- Preen, Inc., architecture and interior design
- Red Pipe Gallery
- The Jade Tree
- The Public School
- Woo's Gifts
- Curbed LA- Where do Architects Live?
- LA Times - Courtyard home in L.A.'s Chinatown
- NY Times - OUT THERE: Chinatown Reborn As a Bohemian Outpost
- National Geographic - Los Angeles: Chung King Road Galleries
- Downtown art scene - Chung King Road - la.indymedia
- Pierson, David. "A City's Chinese Passage." Los Angeles Times. July 25, 2006.
- "KCRW Chinatown Summer Nights Return." World News Network.
- Korek, Bettina. "Perform! Now! Festival: Interview With Francois Ghebaly" Huffington Post. July 29, 2010.
- Laden, Tanja M. "Best Experimental Puppet Theater Los Angeles 2012" LA Weekly. 2012.
- Mizota, Sharon. "Art review: Valerie Green at Charlie James Gallery." Los Angeles Times.April 4, 2014.
- Sahagun, Louis. "Photographer chronicles hope and despair in the California desert." Los Angeles Times. February 28, 2014
- Coagula Art Journal
- Vankin, Deborah. "Kim Dingle debuts 'Wine Bar for Children' at Coagula Curatorial" Los Angeles Times. October 27, 2013.
- Stephens, Craig. "The Many Faces Of Ed Freeman." The Los Angeles Post. July 5, 2012.
- "Exhale Unlimited Presents: The Outsiders, a group exhibition benefiting ECF Art Centers & Lamp Commu." Downtown News. June 30, 2012.
- "Fresh Prints Of L.A." Huffington Post. June 28, 2012.
- Duelund, Theis. "A Breakout Artist at 103 Years Old: Surgeon, WWII Vet, and Sculptor Harry Steinberg" Los Angeles Magazine. April 4, 2014.
- Myers, Holly. "Art Review: The Very Eye of the Night at Jancar Gallery" Los Angeles Times. July 03, 2012.
- Finkelfeb, Jori. "Painting on a Radio Canvas: KCHUNG Gives Los Angeles Artists a Voice on the Airwaves" The New York Times. February 27, 2014
- Lecaro, Lina. "West Coast Artist's (WCA) Crew Opens First Major Group Show in Chinatown" LA Weekly. June 18, 2012.
- Jackson, Peter. "Tastemaker: Alexis Readinger" Los Angeles Magazine. November 1, 2009.
- Lopez, Steve. "Reinvention is ageless artist's passion." Los Angeles Times. February 25, 2014.