Church History Museum
|Church History Museum|
|Location||Salt Lake City, Utah, USA|
The Church History Museum is the premier museum operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). It is located in Salt Lake City, Utah, and is opposite the west gates of the church's Temple Square. Until November 2008, it was called the Museum of Church History and Art.
Programs and features
The museum contains collections of art, artifacts, documents, photographs, tools, clothing and furniture from the almost two-century history of the LDS Church.
International Art Competition
The Church History Museum also initiated and hosts an "International Art Competition", usually once every three years, where LDS and affiliated artists worldwide submit works of art in assorted mediums around specific church and gospel themes.
Outside of the curators, administrative and other staff, tours of the museum's exhibits and many of the museum programs are conducted by a large volunteer workforce of Latter-day Saints from the surrounding communities who begin serving in the museum on a rotational basis following a 16 consecutive week training.
The Museum Store was founded along with the museum to support the many exhibits and programs. Over 200 works of reproduced art have been made available to the general public from the Museum's and Church's extensive collections by prominent historical LDS artists such as C. C. A. Christensen, John Hafen, and Minerva Teichert, in addition to contemporary LDS artists such as Clark Kelly Price, Walter Rane, Robert Barrett, Harry Anderson, and Arnold Friberg. The Store also sells historical toys, literature, statuary, and pioneer-era clothing(bonnets).
A major instigator of the creation of the church museum was Florence S. Jacobsen, a church curator and a former general president of the Young Women organization of the church. It was dedicated and opened on April 4, 1984.
The Church History Museum is open seven days a week. Admission is free. The Museum Store is closed Sundays.
- "Museum is now known as Church History Museum". Church News. November 15, 2008. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- International Art Competitions, "Programs and Events", History.LDS.org (Church History Museum, Church History Department, LDS Church), retrieved 2013-08-20
- Brown, Madeleine (19 September 2011), "Church History Museum Seeks Volunteers", The Universe (BYU) (Brigham Young University), retrieved 2013-08-20
- Cazier, Bob (May 1984), New Church Museum Dedicated, "News of the Church", Ensign (LDS Church): 104–6, retrieved 2013-08-20
- Jacobsen, Florence Smith (1992), "Museums, LDS", in Ludlow, Daniel H, Encyclopedia of Mormonism, New York: Macmillan Publishing, pp. 971–973, ISBN 0-02-879602-0, OCLC 24502140
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Church History Museum.|
- Church History Museum : official site
- Museum of Church History and Art : government of Utah tourism site
|This article related to the Latter Day Saint movement is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|