Church of Christ
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This disambiguation page is currently linked from a large number of articles. Please help direct these ambiguous links to articles dealing with the specific meaning intended. Dab solver can be used to fix these links. (October 2014)|
For individual church buildings/congregations, see Church of Christ (disambiguation).
Church of Christ may refer to:
- One of several New Testament designations for local group of people following the teachings of Jesus Christ; the term is plural, only the plural form is found in the Bible (e.g., Romans 16:16)
- The entire body of Christians throughout the world, regardless of denomination or tradition, i.e. the Christian Church or Christendom
- A group of Christians who (continue to) use only the New Testament as the source for Christian doctrine and practice and who consider themselves to be part of the original church (in contrast to Orthodox Christianity, Catholic Christianity, or Protestant Christianity.)
- Eastern Orthodox or Roman Catholic churches (primarily used by members of these churches)
- Churches influenced by the Stone-Campbell Restoration Movement:
- Restoration Movement groups originating in Scotland and the U.S.
- Non-US groups
- Other historically related groups
- Churches of Christ (non-Restoration Movement), autonomous congregations using the name "church of Christ" that have no historical connection to the Restoration Movement
- Latter Day Saint denominations, which include:
- Church of Christ (Latter Day Saints) - the original Latter Day Saint church founded by Joseph Smith in 1830.
- Pure Church of Christ - First schismatic sect in the Latter Day Saint movement, this denomination was organized in 1831 in Kirtland, Ohio, by Wycam Clark and Northrop Sweet.
- Church of Christ (Ezra Booth) - A schismatic sect organized in 1836 by Ezra Booth in Kirtland, Ohio.
- Church of Christ (Parrishite), an extinct Latter Day Saint denomination organized in 1837 by Warren Parrish in Kirtland, Ohio.
- Church of Christ (William Chubby), an extinct Latter Day Saint denomination organized in the Late 1830s by William Chubby.
- Church of Christ (Hiram Page), an extinct Latter Day Saint denomination organized in 1842 by Hiram Page, one of the Eight Witnesses to the Book of Mormon's golden plates.
- Church of Christ (Wightite) - This denomination, founded by Lyman Wight in 1844, split from the Church of Christ (Latter Day Saints) at the death of Joseph Smith.
- Church of Christ (Temple Lot) - Informally referred to as "Hedrickites", this denomination is headquartered in Independence, Missouri. on what is known as the Temple Lot. It was founded by Granville Hedrick in July 1863.
- Church of Christ (Fettingite) - Informally referred to as the "Fettingites", after its founder Otto Fetting, this denomination is split from the Church of Christ (Temple Lot) in 1929.
- Church of Christ with the Elijah Message, which broke away from the Temple Lot church in 1929
- Church of Christ (Restored) - This denomination split from the Church of Christ (Fettingite) in the late 1930s under the leadership of A. C. DeWolf.
- Church of Christ at Halley's Bluff, which broke away from the Temple Lot church in 1932
- Church of Christ (Hancock) - Founded by Pauline Hancock, this denomination is split from the Church of Christ (Temple Lot) in 1946.
- Church of Christ (Whitmerite) - A denomination, founded in 1847 and reformed 1871, based on the claims of David Whitmer, one of the Three Witnesses to the Book of Mormon.
- Church of Christ (Brewsterite) - A denomination founded in 1848 by James C. Brewster and Hazen Aldrich.
- Latter Day Church of Christ, a Mormon fundamentalist denomination based in Utah
- Church of Christ (David Clark) - Also known as "Lion of God Ministry". Clark broke from the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in November 1985.
- Church of Christ - This denomination, founded by Howard Leighton-Floyd and H. H. Burt in 1965, split from the Church of Christ With the Elijah Message.
- Church of Christ in Congo, the administrative and spiritual union of denominations in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Church of Christ in Thailand, the largest Protestant Church in Thailand.
- Church of Christ, Instrumental, also known as the Kelleyites, a Baptist denomination in Arkansas
- Church of Christ, Scientist, also known as Christian Science
- Iglesia ni Cristo (Filipino translation for "Church of Christ"), an independent church originating in the Philippines
- United Church of Christ in the Philippines, the largest Protestant group in the Philippines
- United Church of Christ – Congregational in the Marshall Islands, the largest religious group in the Marshall Islands
- United Church of Christ, a mainline Protestant denomination in the United States amalgamated from four congregationalist groups in 1957 (see also Christian Connexion)
- Church of Christ (disambiguation) for individual buildings/congregations
- Church of Jesus Christ (disambiguation)
- First Church of Christ (disambiguation)
- Churches of God General Conference (Winebrenner)
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.