Church of Christ
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The term Church of Christ may refer to:
- One of several New Testament designations for a local band of people following the teachings of Jesus, whom they believed to be the Christ; only the plural form is found in the NT (e.g., Romans 16:16)
- the entire body of Christians throughout the world, regardless of denomination or tradition, i.e. the Christian Church or Christendom
- a body of Christians who continue to use only the New Testament as the source for Christian doctrine and practice and who consider themselves to be part of the original church (in contrast to Orthodox Christianity, Catholic Christianity, or Protestant Christianity.)
- the Eastern Orthodox or Roman Catholic churches (primarily used by members of these churches)
- Church bodies influenced by the Stone-Campbell Restoration Movement:
- Restoration Movement groups originating in Scotland and the U.S.
- Non-US groups
- Other historically related groups
- Churches of Christ (non-Restoration Movement), autonomous congregations using the name "church of Christ" that have no historical connection to the Restoration Movement
- Denominations with a shared heritage in the Latter Day Saint movement, which include:
- Church of Christ (Latter Day Saints), the original name of the first Latter Day Saint church, founded in 1830 by Joseph Smith, Jr.
- Church of Christ (Temple Lot), a Latter Day Saint denomination based in Independence, Missouri
- Church of Christ with the Elijah Message, which broke away from the Temple Lot church in 1929
- Church of Christ at Halley's Bluff, which broke away from the Temple Lot church in 1932
- Church of Christ (Whitmerite), an extinct Latter Day Saint denomination
- Church of Christ (Brewsterite), an extinct Latter Day Saint denomination
- Church of Christ (Parrishite), an extinct Latter Day Saint denomination
- Latter Day Church of Christ, a Mormon fundamentalist denomination based in Utah
- And other denominations called the Church of Jesus Christ
- United Church of Christ, a mainline Protestant denomination in the United States amalgamated from four congregationalist groups in 1957 (See also Christian Connexion.)
- United Church of Christ – Congregational in the Marshall Islands, the largest religious group in the Marshall Islands
- Church of Christ, Scientist, also known as Christian Science
- Church of Christ in Congo, the administrative and spiritual union of denominations in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Iglesia ni Cristo (Filipino translation for "Church of Christ"), an independent church originating in the Philippines
- Church of Christ, Instrumental, also known as the Kelleyites, a Baptist denomination in Arkansas
- United Church of Christ in the Philippines, the largest Protestant group in the Philippines
- Church of Christ in Thailand, the largest Protestant Church in Thailand.
- Church of Christ (disambiguation) for individual buildings/congregations
- First Church of Christ (disambiguation)
- Churches of God General Conference (Winebrenner)
- Church of Jesus Christ (disambiguation)
|This article includes a list of related items that share the same name (or similar names).
If an internal link incorrectly led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.