Church of the Holy Cross (Stateburg, South Carolina)
Church of the Holy Cross
Historic Church of the Holy Cross, High Hills of the Santee, Stateburg, built of rammed earth
SC 261, 335 N. Kings Hwy.
|Governing body||Church of the Holy Cross|
|NRHP Reference #||73001732|
|Added to NRHP||November 7, 1973|
|Designated NHL||November 7, 1973|
The Church of the Holy Cross is an historic church built in the early 1850s in Stateburg, in the High Hills of Santee near Sumter, South Carolina. Located on land donated earlier by General Thomas Sumter, a resident of Stateburg, its walls were constructed of rammed earth. Across the road from the church is Borough House Plantation, the home of Dr. William Wallace Anderson, chairman of the committee that built the church. In 1820, Dr. Anderson had built his own house of rammed earth on the plantation. With its additional rammed earth outbuildings, the plantation complex is also a National Historic Landmark.
In 1973, Holy Cross was added to the National Register of Historic Places, and was declared a National Historic Landmark. Joel Roberts Poinsett and many other 19th century South Carolinians are buried in Holy Cross' historic churchyard.
The Church of the Holy Cross is still an active Anglican parish in the Episcopal Diocese of South Carolina. The church still has its original Erben pipe organ installed in 1851.
- Joel Roberts Poinsett (March 2, 1779 – December 12, 1851), physician, botanist and American statesman. The Poinsettia is named for him.
- George L. Mabry, Jr. (September 14, 1917-July 13, 1990), Major General, U.S. Army. Medal of Honor recipient.
- List of Registered Historic Places in South Carolina
- List of National Historic Landmarks in South Carolina
- Stateburg Historic District
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2007-01-23.
- "Church of the Holy Cross". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. Retrieved 2008-03-08.
- Mary Ann Eaddy (April 23, 1973). PDF (32 KB). National Park Service and PDF (32 KB)
- Restoration pictures, March through August 2009
- Restoration pictures, August 2009 through February 2010
- Reconsecration pictures
- Photo of Grave site of MOH Recipient George Mabry
- George Lafayette Mabry, Jr (1917 - 1990) - Find A Grave Memorial
- Church of the Holy Cross, Episcopal, Stateburg website
- Church of the Holy Cross, Sumter County (SC Hwy 261, Stateburg vicinity), including 8 photos, at South Carolina Department of Archives and History
- History of Church & Joel R. Poinsett
- Paper on Rammed Earth with a History of Church of the Holy Cross
|This article about a property in South Carolina on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an American Anglican church is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a building or structure in South Carolina is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|