Churchill County High School
|Churchill County High School|
|1222 South Taylor Street
Fallon, NV 89406
|School district||Churchill County School District (Nevada)|
|Color(s)||Kelly Green,White, and Black|
|Athletics conference||Lahonton League|
Education standards are very high, with Churchill County's Academic Team being placed 1st in the Nevada Academic League in results published in April 2006 and a teacher at the School, Steve Johnson, being a winner of the Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching, the Nation's highest honors for teachers of mathematics and science, in 1999.
The Greenwave (representing the blowing waves of alfalfa crops grown all over the county) compete in the Ruby Mountain League of the Northern Nevada 3A Region, which is the second largest classification level in Nevada. After years in the Northern 4A, Churchill County moved down to 3A starting in 2010. the Greenwave look to start a tradition of dominance in the 3A, particularly in boys' golf, wrestling, baseball, softball, track and field, and soccer; programs which have been fairly competitive in the 4A.
Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association State Championships
- Football - 1923, 1929, 1963, 1976, 1977, 1978
- Volleyball - 1999, 2000
- Boys Basketball - 1924, 1957, 1966, 1971
- Baseball - 1957, 1958, 1966, 1967, 1971, 1974, 1977, 1978, 2011
- Boys Golf - 2006, 2011
- Softball - 1987, 1988, 2011, 2012, 2014
- Boys Track & Field - 1978, 1986, 2011, 2012
- Girls Track & Field- 1975, 1979
Mascot and School Song
The Churchill County High School mascot is the Fighting Greenwave, and the sports team names are the Greenwave, or 'Wave for short. The Greenwave is in the shape of a wave, with a Kelly Green body, a white rolling top, and wearing white boxing gloves.
The term Greenwave originates from the many farms in Churchill County who raise alfalfa, and when the crops are high and the wind blows, it creates the visual effect of waves flowing through the green alfalfa fields.
Prior to being called the Greenwave, the teams took the name "Melon Pickers", from the famous Hearts-of-Gold cantelope melons grown in the area.
The lyrics of the school's song, sung to the tune of the University of Wisconsin fight song are:
Onward Greenwave, onward Greenwave,
Fight right through that line
Never waiver, never falter
Field goal sure this time
Fight! Fight! Fight!
Onward Greenwave, onward Greenwave
With you all the way
Fight, fight, fight,
We'll win this game
Churchill County High School was originally located at 650 S. Maine in Fallon, NV. The High School moved to its current location at 1222 Taylor Street (formerly Minnie P. Blair Middle School) in 1988 to accommodate the growth in the student population. Prior to the move, the high school was grades 10-12, while the freshman class attended the Junior High School (EC Best at the time). The old high school building now is home to the Churchill County Junior High School.
- Harvey Dahl, football offensive guard for the St. Louis Rams - Jersey #59 retired in January 2009.
- Charles Presnell, Professional boxer
- Aarik Wilson, long jumper and triple jumper; athlete in the 2008 Summer Olympic Games
- Josh Mauga, football player for the Kansas City Chiefs - Jersey Number 30 retired on October 27, 2011
In November 2006 closed circuit television was installed, the first school in the state to have such a comprehensive system, and has proven effective in enhancing discipline.
- "Nevada Old High School & College Yearbooks", Old-Yearbooks.com
- "Back to School", Lahontan Valley News
- "Churchill County High School", Great Schools
- "Notice of Regular Meeting", Churchill County Board of School Trustees, April 27, 2006
- "Churchill County High School Tour - NTS and Yucca Mountain", ChurchillCounty.org, 2003
- Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching
- Dahl's High School Jersey To Be Retired, KOLO8 News
- Charles Presnell Professional Record
- "Cameras installed at CCHS", Nevada Appeal, January 6, 2007
- "Meth brochure", Churchill Coalition