Chuvash State University
|Chuvash State University
|Чувашский государственный университет имени И. Н. Ульянова
Чăваш патшалăх И. Н. Ульянов ячĕллĕ университечĕ
|Established||17 August 1967|
|Location||Cheboksary, Chuvash Republic, Russia|
The I. N. Ulianov Chuvash State University is the main university of Chuvashia in the Russian Federation. It is located in Cheboksary, the capital of the Chuvash Republic, on the Volga River northeast of Moscow.
The university has over 10,000 students and 3,865 faculty, including 77 Doctors of Sciences (equivalent to full professors) and 446 Candidates of Sciences (equivalent to PhDs).
The rector of the university is Vsevolod Agakov.
The president of the university is Lev Panteleimonovich Kurakov. He was previously the President of the Chuvash Academy of Sciences (1992–1994) and a member of the Federal Council (the upper house of the Federal Assembly) of the Russian Federation. From 1997 to 2002, he was Vice President of the Chuvash Republic. He has been a member of the faculty of Chuvash State University since 1969, and became its rector in 1990.
In 1920 the revolutionary committee and the first congress of Councils of the Chuvash Autonomous district made a decision about the university creation in Cheboksary. But at that time the decision was not brought to life. Next time the question about the creation of the Chuvash state university was raised again in 1958-1959, but even then the question could not be decided because of many problems connected with the absence of the material base and lack of the scientific staff in the republic.
The university was formed on 17 August 1967 through a merger of the Volga Branch of the Order of Lenin Moscow Energy Institute and the Historical-Philological Department of the I. Ya. Yakovlev Chuvash State Pedagogical Institute. It was named after Ilya Nikolaevich Ulianov, an educator.
Opened already in 1930 the part of historically philological faculty of the Chuvash pedagogical institute joined the university. By the time of the university creation there had been about 900 students (including 350 full-time students) and highly qualified scientifically pedagogical staff, 3 professors and 30 senior lecturers among them. The historically philological faculty got wide popularity and many traditions during its existence.
In1968/69 there was opened the 8th faculty-of Physics and Mathematics at the university.
The university currently has 27 divisions:
- history with specialization in geography
- Russian language and literature
- Chuvash language and literature
- economic and socanning with specializations in business economy,
- municipal economy, international business economics, accounting, economic activity control and analysis
- design environment
- production management
- dielectric and cable technology
- industrial electronics
- automation and management of technical systems
- power supply
- automated electrical and technological installations and systems
- electrical drive and automation of industrial installations and technological complexes
- mechanical engineering technology
- metal-cutting tools and instruments
- casting production machines and technology
- civil engineering
- economic law
These are further subdivided into 143 departments.
- (Russian) Main University Webpage