|Producer||National Institute of Informatics (Japan)|
|History||2005 – present|
|Cost||Free; Subscription for full-text|
|Record depth||Index, abstract & full-text|
|Format coverage||Journal articles and books|
|Temporal coverage||1906 – present|
|Number of records||15 million|
CiNii (// ) is a bibliographic database service for scholarly literature, especially focusing on Japanese works and English works published in Japan. The database was founded in April 2005 and is maintained by the National Institute of Informatics. The service searches from within the databases maintained by the NII itself [NII Electronic Library Service (NII-ELS) and Citation Database for Japanese Publications (CJP)], as well as the databases provided by the National Diet Library of Japan, institutional repositories, and other organizations.
The database contains more than 15 million articles from more than 3600 publications. A typical month (in 2012) saw more than 30 million accesses from 2.2 million unique visitors, and is the largest and most comprehensive database of its kind in Japan. Although the database is multidisciplinary, the largest portion of the queries it receives is in the humanities and social sciences field, possibly owing to the fact that CiNii is the only database that covers Japanese scholarly works in this field (as opposed to the natural, formal, and medical sciences which benefit from other databases).
The database assigns a unique identifier, NII Article ID (NAID), for all of its entries.
- "About CiNii". CiNii. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- 大向一輝 (Ohmukai, Ikki) (2009). "学術情報プラットフォームとしてのCiNii". Current Awareness (301). CA1691.
- "Databases Incorporated". CiNii. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
titlelist_els.tsv". CiNii. 2014-02-15. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- 大向一輝 (Ohmukai, Ikki) (2012-11). "System design and data modeling of CiNii articles". The Journal of Information Science and Technology Association 62 (11): 473–477. Check date values in:
- 日詰梨恵 (Hizume, Rie); 逸村裕 (Itsumura, Hiroshi) (2010). "CiNii 収録率から見たわが国の学術情報電子化の現状：人文学４領域を対象に". 中部図書館情報学会誌 50: 19–35.