Cicely Tyson School of Performing and Fine Arts
|Cicely Tyson School Community School of Performing and Fine Arts|
|35 Winans Street
East Orange, NJ 07018
|Type||Magnet Middle/high school|
|School district||East Orange School District|
|Principal||Anita D. Champagne|
|Asst. Principal||Melissa Espana-Rodrieguez
|Faculty||72.0 (on FTE basis)|
|Enrollment||872 (as of 2010-11)|
|Student to teacher ratio||12.11:1|
Cicely Tyson School of Performing and Fine Arts is a specialty magnet public school that serves students in grades pre-k–12 in the city of East Orange, New Jersey, United States, as part of the East Orange School District, offering separate middle school and high school curricula. The school is named for actress Cicely Tyson. Students are accepted based on their talents. The school teaches core disciplines while focusing on the creative potential of the students.
As of the 2010-11 school year, the school had an enrollment of 872 students and 72.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 12.11:1. There were 494 students (56.7% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 72 (8.3% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
In September 2009, Tyson's historic Elmwood Avenue building closed, and a new $180 million, 300,000 sq ft (28,000 m2) facility on Walnut Street (on the site of the former East Orange High School) took its place. The new facility is among the largest and most technologically advanced schools ever built in the state of New Jersey, with extensive performing arts facilities which meet or exceed the highest professional standards. The school consists of an elementary school and middle/high school.
The high school's 800-seat theater has been built to Broadway standards in terms of sound, lighting and acoustics. In addition to the school's theaters, students have access to a TV studio, art studios, music rooms, individual performance practice rooms, drafting rooms and shops to build and design stage sets. The classrooms all feature smartboards, advanced integrated audio-visual systems, and multiple computer workstations.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 233rd-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 328 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2012 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", after being ranked 221st in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 208 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 255th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state. However, 2009 reports published in the Newark Star-Ledger indicate Tyson to be the most improved school in an Abbott District, and among the most improved schools in the state of New Jersey, this year.
Core members of the middle/high school's administration are:
- Anita D. Champagne - Principal
- Melissa Espana-Rodriguez - Assistant Principal
- Elvin Williamson - Assistant Principal
- Data for Cicely Tyson Sch Per Arts (Ms/Hs), National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 8, 2012.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed December 1, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed February 10, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- East Orange Schools, East Orange School District. Accessed August 12, 2008.
- Cicely Tyson School of the Performing Arts
- East Orange School District
- East Orange School District's 2012–13 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the East Orange School District, National Center for Education Statistics