Cicero – North Syracuse High School
|Cicero-North Syracuse High School|
|6002 Route 31
Cicero, New York, (Onondaga County), 13039
|School type||Public school (government funded), high school|
|Established||1967(Cicero High School)|
|School district||North Syracuse Central School District|
|NCES District ID||3621210|
|NCES School ID||362121002997|
|Faculty||138.43 (on an FTE basis) |
|Key people||Diane Clancy, Executive Secretary|
|Enrollment||2263  (2010-2011 school year)|
|Grade 10||785 |
|Grade 11||738 |
|Grade 12||719 |
|Student to teacher ratio||16.35 |
|Schedule||7:40 AM - 2:00 PM|
Royal Blue, Kelly Green and White
|Mascot||Northstars - Unicorn|
Cicero – North Syracuse High School is an American public high school located in Cicero, New York, United States serving tenth through twelfth grade students. The school is part of the North Syracuse Central School District.
Cicero – North Syracuse High School hosts grades 10-12 and serves approximately 2,300 students. The school principal is Melissa Julian. Cicero – North Syracuse High School is often called CNS. CNS hosts many extracurricular activities, such as student clubs and sports teams. CNS is the home of the Cicero-North Syracuse "Northstars" Marching Band. The school hosts about twenty co-ed sports, with state titles in men's cross-country running in 1989, 1995, and 1996, and in ladies' softball in 2004 and 2006. In 2006, CNS won the Syracuse Area Live Theater Youth (S.A.L.T.Y.) award for best High School Musical with their performance of "The Music Man" During the 2006-2007 school year, the school has hosted two school wide summits, one focusing on dress code.
In 2009, the Cicero-North Syracuse High School Varsity Winterguard were crowned as the WGI SA Class Champions, winning the National Title for the first time, with a nearly perfect score of 97.4. They received a Perfect Score in the Movement Caption.
In 2010, the Boys and Girls varsity basketball teams became Section 3 champions for the first time in school history.
CNS faces the problem of overcrowding. As of 2010, the school reportedly served 2,300 students. Although many district restructuring plans have been discussed by the North Syracuse Central School District Board of Education, there have been no changes made to accommodate this overcrowding problem.
Although the school experiences overcrowding, over 80% of students have passed all of the New York State Regents exams. As a result, the school was given a satisfactory report.
The turf at the Michael J. Bragman stadium was closed in April, 2008, because it was believed that the artificial turf contained a dangerous level of lead in the paint. In July 2008, the Consumer Product Safety Commission assured that the lead levels were low enough not to cause harm. Therefore, after an August 2008 Board of Education meeting, the turf was reopened.
In 2014, Cicero-North Syracuse High School will be taking out the turf and putting in artificial grass.
- CNS Dance Ensemble
- Student Government
- IMAGES (Intelligent Minds Against Growing and Existing Stereotypes)
- DECA (FBLA and DECA have now combined as of the '07-'08 school year)
- Science Olympiad
- Model United Nations
- Math League
- National Honor Society
- Class Of... (Sophomore, Junior, and Senior Years)
- Year Book
- Student Engineering Club
- Mock Trial
- Newspaper Club
- Winter Drumline
- Marching Band (www.cnsmarchingband.org)
- Youth Alive
- Insights Literary Magazine
- Math Honor Society
- Hardcore S/M Club
- Tyvon Branch (2004), safety for the Oakland Raiders
- Mark Copani (1998), former professional wrestler in the WWE as "Muhammad Hassan"
- Patrick Corbin (2007), Starting Pitcher for the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Richard Gere (North Syracuse 1967), actor 
- Dave Giusti (1957)
- Curtis Johnson (2003), defensive end for the St. Louis Rams
- Beth Mowins (1985), ESPN play by play announcer
- Breanna Stewart (2012), basketball player
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for North Syracuse Central School District". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved December 25, 2012.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Cicero-North Syracuse High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved December 25, 2012.
- "CNS Softball Record" Retrieved December 10, 2011.
- "SALTY Awards 2006", Retrieved July 29, 2008.
- "Cicero-North Syracuse teacher accused of Minoa bank robbery had prior arrest". syracuse.com. 2009-05-19. Retrieved 2013-10-07.
- "Teacher accused of robbery made off with nearly $32,000 : News". ValleyCentral.com. 2009-05-21. Retrieved 2013-10-07.
- "School reacts to math teacher's robbery arrest : News". CNYcentral.com. 2009-05-18. Retrieved 2013-10-07.
- "Former teacher Mark Gurniak sentenced to four years for Minoa bank robbery". syracuse.com. 2009-10-20. Retrieved 2013-10-07.
- "Gurniak sentenced to four years in prison - YNN". Centralny.ynn.com. Retrieved 2013-10-07.
- "School Report Card 2008", Retrieved July 30, 2008.
- "C-NS turf field will reopen", Retrieved August 12, 2008.
- "CPSC: Turf fields are safe", Retrieved August 1, 2008.
- "Extra Curricular". Nscsd.org. Retrieved 2013-10-07.