Cilvaringz in 2014
|Birth name||Tarik Azzougarh|
January 29, 1979 |
|Occupation(s)||Record producer, rapper|
|Associated acts||Wu-Tang Clan|
Tarik Azzougarh, better known as Cilvaringz, is a rapper, executive manager and hip hop producer associated with the Wu-Tang Clan. He was discovered by Ol' Dirty Bastard and Method Man at a Wu-Tang Clan concert in Amsterdam, Holland on May 26, 1997. After impressing Ol' Dirty Bastard with a live freestyle on stage he was introduced to The RZA who signed him to Wu-Tang Records in 1999.
Cilvaringz became the first official non American affiliate of the Wu-Tang Clan which at the time was unheard of and lead to mass coverage in most of Europe's major media outlets. From 2002 till 2006 he toured the world as the official opening act of The RZA, Method Man & Redman, Raekwon and Ghostface Killah. On April 9, 2007 he released his first solo album I through five different record labels around the world. Since 2008, he has been working under the patronage of The RZA on Wu-Tang's secret album Once Upon A Time In Shaolin.... The album features Redman, FC Barcelona soccer players, Cher and Game Of Thrones actress Carice van Houten. The unique release of the album as only one available copy in the world was unprecedented and became one of the biggest and most widely covered music stories of 2014. Forbes Magazine broke the story exclusively on March 26, 2014.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Discovery By Wu-Tang Clan
- 3 Wu-Tang Records Signing
- 4 RPEG Ltd
- 5 Media
- 6 Movies
- 7 Arap
- 8 Personal
- 9 Discography
- 10 Videography
- 11 Touring
- 12 References
- 13 External links
Cilvaringz grew up in the small city of Tilburg in the Netherlands. He was an avid basketball player and a fan of Hip Hop music citing MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice as his early Hip Hop inspirations. In 1992 he started experimenting with writing lyrics and recording demos. After hearing Wu-Tang Clan's debut album Enter The 36 Chambers he made it his "goal in life to either become a basketball player in the NBA or a member of the Wu-Tang Clan...".
Discovery By Wu-Tang Clan
On May 26, 1997 the Wu-Tang Clan were performing a sold out concert at the Melkweg in Amsterdam as part of their Wu-Tang Forever promo tour. At the end of the show Ol' Dirty Bastard and Method Man announced a freestyle session for local acts to showcase their skills before the Clan. Cilvaringz rushed to the stage but could not reach it due to the excitement of many fans. Ol' Dirty Bastard spotted Cilvaringz struggling from the side and pulled him up on stage and gave him his microphone. He began freestyling, capturing the attention of the entire group and crowd. Just as Method Man pulled him over to meet The RZA who was watching from the side of the stage, a fight broke out between Ol' Dirty Bastard and a group of fans who's girlfriends were flirting with Ol' Dirty Bastard on stage. Security cleared the venue and Cilvaringz lost contact with The RZA. According to Cilvaringz, RZA had told him that he was interested in signing him to Wu-Tang Clan's extended group the Wu-Tang Killa Beez.
Wu-Tang Records Signing
For two years Cilvaringz traveled back and forth to New York in the hope of finding The RZA. In February 1999, he meets Sophia Diggs and Linda Hamlin, RZA's mother and sister in front of the Razor Sharp Records offices in Manhattan. Having heard of his story, they phone RZA to come by the office. An hour later RZA arrives and listens to Cilvaringz's demo. Seeing the enthusiasm of his employees, as well as Ghostface Killah's positive feedback over the phone from prison, RZA signs Cilvaringz to Wu-Tang Records, making his affiliation official. Coincidentally, he began recording his debut album I on May 26, 1999, exactly two years after being discovered, at the Wu-Villa in Paris, France.
Since 2002 Cilvaringz has been running his entertainment company RPEG Ltd which managed the careers of Arab rappers Salah Edin, Eslam Jawaad, Ledr P aka Palestine, DJ Van and producer Focus..., the son of Chic bassist Bernard Edwards, the only producer signed to Dr. Dre's imprint Aftermath Music / Interscope. In managing their careers Cilvaringz's company collaborated with De La Soul, Damon Albarn, IAM, Sefyu, DJ Khalil, Mala Rodriguez and many others.
In 2007, RPEG Ltd served as the executive producer for Salah Edin's debut album Nederlands Grootste Nachtmerrie which became the most controversial album in the history of Dutch Hiphop and won the Best Album Award for 2007.
Later on that year, Jive/Epic France and RPEG Ltd collaborated on the production of French artist La Fouine's second album Aller-Retour. Producer Focus... produced the majority of the album which has since reached Gold status.
In 2008, RPEG Ltd and lawyer Margriet Koedooder sued Dutch politician Geert Wilders for wrongfully portraying the image of its artist Salah Edin in the controversial anti-Islam movie Fitna. The court ruled in favor of Salah Edin and he was awarded 10.000 euros in copyright infringement and defamation damages. It was the first time Geert Wilders had lost a lawsuit. The case was widely covered in international media.
From 2007 till 2009, Cilvaringz served as one of two Vice Presidents of the Arts in Marrakech (AiM) International Biennale, headed by Vanessa Branson, sister of Sir Richard Branson with André Azoulay, HRH King Mohamed VI's senior advisor residing as the honorary president.
In 2010, RPEG Ltd collaborated with Universal Music Spain on the recording of Mala Rodriguez's Grammy Award winning album Dirty Bailarina. Focus... produced and recorded the majority of the album. Dirty Bailarina won two Latin Grammy Awards for Best Urban Music Album and Best Urban Song.
In 2014, Cilvaringz and The RZA announced the one copy only release of Once Upon A Time In Shaolin..., a Wu-Tang Clan album that was recorded in secret over a period of six years. The announcement, exclusively made by Forbes Magazine made headlines in all prominent media outlets across the world. Cilvaringz developed the idea of the Renaissance approach to music as a commissioned commodity and received advice from The RZA as well as from prominent art world figures Vanessa Branson, Jimmy Boyle, author and filmmaker Danny Moynihan, author Josh Shoemake and Ronald Ciccone, an ex Senior Vice President of Turner Broadcasting Systems who also worked at the White House during the Carter Administration.
RPEG Ltd continues to manage the international career of Focus..., DJ Van as well as booking and managing world tours for major acts such as Wu-Tang Clan, Sean Paul, Gorillaz, Method Man & Redman and many others.
In 2007, Dutch media ranked Cilvaringz the second richest Hip Hop artist in Holland after Ali B with most of his income coming from Marrakech real estate and the touring business.
Cilvaringz portrayed a small role in the movie Shouf Shouf Habibi, one of the most successful Dutch comedy productions to date. He also appeared in the theme song of the movie.
The song Siasa by Salah Edin featuring Eslam Jawaad and Cilvaringz was used by film director Gavin Hood in the movie Rendition starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Meryl Streep and Reese Witherspoon. It was the first time an Arabic rap song was used in a Hollywood blockbuster. Originally, New Line Cinema wanted to use a song by Moroccan group Fnaire who were under RPEG Ltd management at the time, but after a fall out between the group and Cilvaringz, RPEG Ltd renegotiated the deal and licensed Salah Edin's music instead.
Cilvaringz is a member and co-founder of the Arabic rap collective ARAP which consists of Eslam Jawaad, Shadia Mansour, Palestine aka Ledr P, The Narcicyst, DJ Van, DJ Lady S, DJ Lethal Skillz and producer Mohalim. ARAP is a collective of the most prominent Arabic Hip Hop artists in the world, based on an initiative started by Moroccan rapper Salah Edin who later left the group.
He is a practicing Muslim but doesn't follow any particular ideology within Islam.
Cilvaringz is a co-inventor of Snowballs, a cooling underwear that helps to improve sperm quality by cooling the testicles.
- The Mental Chamberz (Official internet release, 2001)
- The 3rd Chamber (Unofficial internet leak, 2002)
- I (Wu-Tang Records / RPEG Ltd 2007)
- Untitled Wu-Tang Album (TBA / 2014)
- 20. Cousins feat. Doc Gyneco & Cilvaringz
- 06. Chi Kung feat. Beretta 9 & Cilvaringz
- 07. You'll Never Know feat. Cilvaringz
- Skunk Fu [Main Theme]
- 01. Guerilla Hood
- 10. A Lil' Story
- 03. Silver Rings feat. Ghostface Killah
- All Songs.
- Nederlands Grootste Nachtmerrie (Top Notch / Universal, 2007)
- I (Universal / Babygrande / Top Notch / Entak Japan / Nocturne France, 2007)
- The Mammoth Tusk (Eslamaphobic Records, 2009)
- Horr (Top Notch / Universal / Fassiphone, 2009)
- Once Upon A Time In Shaolin... (Scluzay/Ezclziv, 2014)
- 06. Cousins feat. The RZA & Cilvaringz
- 10. Dutch Touch feat. Extince, Furiuz Stylez, Masta Lee, Rizky Rough, Roodrunna, Rowdy, Yukkie B & Cilvaringz
- 12. Neckbone feat. The RZA & Cilvaringz
- 15. Shouf Shouf Habibi feat. Brainpower, Casablanca Connect & Cilvaringz
- 10. Total Dubios feat. Cilvaringz
- 10. Lif L'ba Ta Ata feat. Cilvaringz
- 04. Homage To RZA feat. Blue Raspberry, TheFEW & Cilvaringz
- 06. Bring The Riots Back feat. Shogun Assasson, Shabazz The Disciple, Christ Bearer & Cilvaringz
- 07. Man, Woman & Child feat. DomPachino of Killarmy
At RPEG Ltd, Cilvaringz was involved in almost every aspect of his artists' musical career including productions on music videos. He co-directed and wrote treatments for most of the videos released by his artists and worked alongside renowned directors such as Ivan Herrera and SkeeTV's Matt Alonzo.
- Geliefd Om Gehaat te Worden (Co-Director / Treatment / Appearing)
- Vrouwtje Is Een Bitch (Co-Director / Acting)
- Horr (Director / Treatment / Production / Appearing)
- Tfoe [Remix] feat. Sefyu (Co-Director / Treatment / Production / Appearing)
- Gena Tahtha Aqdama L'Oumahat (Co-Director / Treatment / Production / Appearing)
- Star Spangled Banner (Appearing)
- Pivot Widdit (Treatment / Casting / Appearing)
- Fuck That (Appearing)
Since 2002, Cilvaringz performed 163 live shows in over 55 countries across five continents. He cites Bulgaria, Chile, Poland and Australia as his favorite places to perform with South Africa, Namibia, Ireland and India as the last few countries remaining on his wishlist.
Cilvaringz and The RZA were the first ever Hip Hop artists to perform live in Bulgaria and Latvia. The sold out Bulgaria show took place at the Winter Palace Of Sports in Sofia on March 20, 2003 with 11.000 people in attendance and 3 million viewers watching a live broadcast of the concert on television. It remains the biggest ever Hip Hop concert in Bulgaria to date. The grand success of the sold out Latvian show started a chain of Hip Hop concerts in the following years.
Cilvaringz stopped touring after his last tour with Method Man & Redman in November 2010 to concentrate on his family and the new Wu-Tang Clan album.
- Erfurt, Germany [June 15] * The Wu-Tang Killa Beez are arrested after inciting a riot for not being paid by the promoter.
- Amsterdam, Holland [June 16]
- Bernburg, Germany [June 19]
- Freiburg, Germany [June 20]
- Munich, Germany [June 21]
- Stuttgart, Germany [June 22]
- Vienna, Austria [June 23]
- Berlin, Germany [June 25]
- Tilburg, Holland [June 27]
- Wuppertal, Germany [June 28]
- Gross Raeschen, Germany [June 29]
- Rotterdam, Holland [July 02]
- Deventer, Holland [March 05]
- Gent, Belgium [March 06]
- Tilburg, Holland [March 07]
- Erfurt, Germany [March 08] * RZA, Masta Killa and Cilvaringz are questioned by military police regarding the 2002 incident.
- Kassel, Germany [March 09]
- Krefeld, Germany [March 10]
- Amsterdam, Holland [March 11]
- Frankfurt, Germany [March 12]
- Basel, Switzerland [March 13]
- Bolognia, Italy [March 14]
- Milan, Italy [March 15]
- Zagreb, Croatia [March 16]
- Vienna, Austria [March 18]
- Sofia, Bulgaria [March 20]
- Belgrade, Serbia [March 21]
- Budapest, Hungary [March 22]
- Prague, Czech Republic [March 23]
- Warsaw, Poland [March 25]
- Berlin, Germany [March 26]
- Hamburg, Germany [March 27]
- Malmo, Sweden [March 28]
- Aarhus, Denmark [March 29]
- Oslo, Norway [March 30]
- Stockholm, Sweden [March 31]
- Helsinki, Finland [April 02]
- Riga, Latvia [April 04]
- Budapest, Hungary [May 24]
- Seoul, South Korea [22 August]
- Hong Kong, China [23 August]
- Perth, Australia [27 August]
- Sydney, Australia [28 August]
- Melbourne, Australia [29 August]
- Brisbane, Australia [30 August]
- Auckland, New Zealand [01 September]
- Warsaw, Poland [March 20]
- Villarobledo, Spain [May 01]
- Nantes, France [May 07]
- Athens, Greece [May 08]
- Cairo, Egypt [May 13]
- Rome, Italy [May 15]
- Fribourg, Switzerland [May 17]
- Moscow, Russia [May 18]
- St.Petersberg, Russia [May 19]
- Tirana, Albania [May 21]
- Istanbul, Turkey [May 23]
- Santiago, Chile [October 20]
- Buenos Aires, Argentina [October 23]
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [December 04]
- Penang, Malaysia [December 05]
- Jakarta, Indonesia [December 11]
- Lille, France [February 24]
- Reims, France [February 25]
- Morlaix, France [February 26]
- London, United Kingdom [August 01]
- The Hague, Holland [January 20]
- Amsterdam, Holland [January 21]
- Tilburg, Holland [January 22]
- Paris, France [January 23]
- Bordeaux, France [January 26]
- Marseille, France [January 27]
- Barcelona, Spain [January 28]
- Lyon, France [January 29]
- Geneva, Switzerland [January 30]
- Rastatt, Germany [January 31] * Military police arrest the Wu-Tang Killa Beez after being accused of extortion by promoter but win the case two months later.
- Hamburg, Germany [February 01]
- Lund, Sweden [February 02]
- Oslo, Norway [February 03]
- Stockholm, Sweden [February 04]
- Jyvaskyla, Finland [February 05]
- Tampere, Finland [February 06]
- Kuopio, Finland [February 07]
- Tallinn, Estonia [February 08]
- Riga, Latvia [February 09]
- Sopot, Poland [February 10]
- Poznan, Poland [February 11]
- Bratislava, Slovakia [February 12]
- Budapest, Hungary [February 13]
- Sofia, Bulgaria [February 14]
- Bucharest, Romania [February 15]
- Vienna, Austria [February 17]
- Stuttgart, Germany [February 18]
- Nove Zamky, Slovakia [October 14]
- Amman, Jordan [June 29]
- Vancouver, Canada [July 08]
- Edmonton, Canada [July 10]
- Calgary, Canada [July 12]
- Saskatoon, Canada [July 14]
- Winnipeg, Canada [July 15]
- Toronto, Canada [July 17] * A young Drake is in the crowd watching the concert.
- Medellin, Colombia [October 04]
- Santiago, Chile [October 06]
- Alkmaar, Holland [November 23]
- Oss, Holland [November 24]
- Haarlem, Holland [November 29]
- Heerlen, Holland [November 30]
- Amstelveen, Holland [December 01]
- Tilburg, Holland [January 18]
- Amsterdam, Holland [January 24]
- Leiden, Holland [January 25]
- Groningen, Holland [February 01]
- Purmerend, Holland [February 02]
- Madrid, Spain [March 16]
- Barcelona, Spain [March 17]
- Amsterdam, Holland [March 18]
- Zwolle, Holland [March 19]
- Tilburg, Holland [March 20]
- Antwerp, Belgium [March 21]
- Hamburg, Germany [March 22]
- Aarhus, Denmark [March 23]
- Oslo, Norway [March 24]
- Copenhagen, Denmark [March 25]
- Stockholm, Sweden [March 26]
- Helsinki, Finland [March 28]
- St.Petersburg, Russia [March 29]
- Warsaw, Poland [March 31]
- Budapest, Hungary [April 01]
- Prague, Czech Republic [April 02]
- Munich, Germany [April 03] * Police pull Method Man and Cilvaringz over after suspected possession of drugs. The arrest hits 500.000 YouTube views in 24 hrs.
- Zurich, Switzerland [April 04]
- Lausanne, Switzerland [April 05]
- Lahr, Germany [November 05]
- London, United Kingdom [November 07]
- Zurich, Switzerland [November 09]
- St. Gallen, Switzerland [November 10]
- Paris, France [November 11] * Cilvaringz brings out Sefyu for a surprise performance at the legendary Elysee Montmartre
- Madrid, Spain [November 12]
- Granada, Spain [November 13]
- Barcelona, Spain [November 14]
- Stuttgart, Germany [November 16]
- Zagreb, Croatia [November 17]
- Munich, Germany [November 19] * The Bavaria Police Commissioner apologizes for the April 3 arrest described as an embarrassment to German police.
- Warsaw, Poland [November 20]
- Berlin, Germany [November 22]
- Hamburg, Germany [November 23]
- Aarhus, Denmark [November 24]
- Oslo, Norway [November 26]
- St.Petersberg, Russia [November 27]
- Moscow, Russia [November 28]