Cimarron Fuel Fabrication Site
The Cimarron Fuel Fabrication Site was a nuclear fuel production facility located by the Cimarron River near Cimarron City, Oklahoma. It was operated by Kerr-McGee Corporation (KMC) from 1965-1975.
In 1965 Kerr-McGee received a Nuclear Regulatory Commission license to make nuclear fuel at the plant. The NRC license numbers were SNM-928 for the Uranium production and SNM-1174 for mixed Plutonium-Uranium Oxide (MOX) production.
The plant made Uranium fuel and MOX driver fuel pins for use in the Fast Flux Test Facility at the Hanford Site in Washington State. Along with NUMEC, between 1973 and 1975 Kerr-McGee made the fuel pins for FFTF cores 1 and 2. The pins were quality tested by the Plutonium Finishing Plant at Hanford. The MOX pins were created by the unusual co-precipitation of Plutonium Nitrate and Uranium Nitrate solution method. The plant shut down in 1976.
In 1983 Kerr-McGee Nuclear split into Quivira Mining Corporation and Sequoyah Fuels Corporation, although both were still owned by Kerr-McGee. Sequoyah got the Cimarron plant. Sequoyah was then sold to General Atomics in 1988, but Kerr-McGee kept control of Cimarron under a subsidiary named the Cimarron Corporation. In 2005 Kerr-McGee formed a new subsidiary named Tronox, and it then gained ownership of Cimarron. Tronox was then spun off as an independent company in 2006, a few months before KMC was bought by Anadarko Petroleum. Tronox went bankrupt in 2008/2009, blaming in part the environmental debts it inherited from KMC. Tronox shareholders later sued Anadarko Petroleum (KMC's successor) for having misled investors.
Karen Silkwood was employed by the facility when she died in a mysterious car accident after her union activism and whistleblowing.
- Cook, Michael. "NOTIFICATION OF THE DECOMMISSIONING OF THE KERR-MCGEE, CIMARRON SITE". Retrieved 2009 10 1.
- Lini, D.C. and L. H. Rodgers. "Plutonium Finishing Plant". Hanford / US Govt. Retrieved 2009 20 1.
- "PUBLIC HEALTH ASSESSMENT KERR-MCGEE REFINERY SITE". Centers for Disease Control. Retrieved 2009 10 1.
- "Kerr-McGee - Cimarron". US NRC. 2009 Apr. Retrieved 2009 10 1.
- anadarko.com 2006 aug 10 press release
- Kerr-McGee Completes Separation of Tronox 2006 Mar 31
- Jan 13, 2009 The Oklahoman via COMTEX
- "75 F3d 536 General Atomics v. United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission". openjurist.org. 1995 10 17. Retrieved 2009 10 2.
- "Shareholder Class Action Filed on Behalf of Purchasers of Tronox, Inc. by the Law Firm of Barroway Topaz Kessler Meltzer & Check, LLP". PRNewswire / Reuters. 2009. Retrieved 2009 10 6.