Promotional poster for Cinderella's Sister
|Also known as||Cinderella's Stepsister
Sister of Cinderella
|Written by||Kim Gyu-wan|
|Directed by||Kim Young-jo, Kim Won-seok|
|Ending theme||"It Has To Be You" by Yesung|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||20|
|Running time||60 minutes
Wednesdays and Thursdays at 21:55 (KST)
|Original channel||Korean Broadcasting System|
|Original run||31 March 2010– 3 June 2010|
|Preceded by||The Slave Hunters|
|Followed by||King of Baking, Kim Takgu|
|Revised Romanization||Sinderella Eonni|
Cinderella's Sister (Hangul: 신데렐라 언니; RR: Sinderella Eonni; also known as Cinderella's Stepsister) is a 2010 South Korean television series, starring Moon Geun-young, Chun Jung-myung, Seo Woo, and Ok Taecyeon of 2PM in his acting debut. Applying a modern twist to the classic fairy tale, the story follows the contentious relationship between two stepsisters as their lives and loves intertwine.
Since a young age, Eun-jo (Moon Geun-young) has learned to trust no one and live strong on her own. Used to being dragged from one broken home to another by her manipulative, money-grubbing mother (Lee Mi-sook), Eun-jo doesn't know what to make of her mother's latest catch Dae-sung (Kim Kap-soo), the solemn head of a traditional rice wine brewery. Both Dae-sung and his daughter, bubbly spoiled princess Hyo-sun (Seo Woo), warmly welcome wary young Eun-jo into their sprawling home, and treat her with a kindness that she simply can't stomach. Instead, she forms a bond with brewery staff Ki-hoon (Chun Jung-myung), the first person to see past her tough act, and it is his betrayal that will hurt the most. However, Dae-sung's genuine kindness to her eventually melts Eun-jo's defenses, and she learns to trust and love her stepfather. Naive Hyo-sun, meanwhile, stubbornly seeks affection at every turn, only to slowly realize she's losing Ki-hoon and everything else in her life to her cold stepsister. Eight years later, Jung-woo (Ok Taecyeon) reappears in Eun-jo's life, a boy she used to treat as her little brother who is now a young man determined to win her heart. Reluctant sisters Eun-jo and Hyo-sun both experience angst and rivalry, as their polar-opposite personalities and love-hate relationship bring them through many ups and downs from adolescence to adulthood.
Cast and characters
- Moon Geun-young as Song Eun-jo/Goo Eun-jo - A cynical and shy young woman, Eun-jo is good at hiding her emotions and does not get attached to people easily. She is skeptical of her stepfather's kindness; however, she later realizes that it is genuine and this realization begins to break her hard exterior. Eun-jo is in love with Ki-hoon, and is hurt when he leaves, leading her to be cold and reject him when he returns 8 years later. She later mourns her stepfather's death.
- Seo Woo as Goo Hyo-sun - A gentle and brilliant girl who has been treated like a princess her entire life. However, she is lonely and becomes excited when she learns that she'll be getting a new mother and sister. When her new family members are different from what she expected, it takes a toll on her. Hyo-sun is slightly spoiled and becomes jealous of her new stepsister.
- Chun Jung-myung as Hong Ki-hoon - Gentle, handsome, and kind, Ki-hoon sees much of himself in Eun-jo. However, when his difficult and broken family situation causes him to leave the winery, he disappears, leaving Eun-jo a letter that she never receives. Ki-hoon returns 8 years later and appears to be a spy for his evil step-family's company, but not everything is as it seems.
- Ok Taecyeon as Han Jung-woo - Jung-woo is the adopted son of one of Song Kang-sook's ex-lovers. Eun-jo is the first person to care for him when he was a child, which creates a deep affection in him. Jung-woo finds Eun-jo at the winery 8 years later in order to be near her and declare his love for her. Jung-woo is selfless, reliable and always cares for Eun-jo. (Moon Suk-hwan as young Han Jung-woo)
- Lee Mi-sook as Song Kang-sook - Eun-jo's mother. Knows how to get what she wants, and marries Go Dae-sung for his wealth. Though initially an evil stepmother who fakes affection for her new family, Kang-sook does love her daughter Eun-jo in her own way and begins to change as a result of Dae-sung's love for her.
- Kim Kap-soo as Goo Dae-sung - Hyo-sun's father and Eun-jo's stepfather. Dae-sung is kindhearted, genuine, and loving. His character and goodness causes changes in everyone around him for the better.
- Kang Sung-jin as Yang Hae-jin
- Choi Il-hwa as Chairman Hong
- Yeon Woo-jin as Dong-soo
- Go Se-won as Hong Ki-jung, Ki-hoon's manipulative and calculating older half-brother, who does not even acknowledge Ki-hoon as his brother.
- Seo Hyun-chul as Kang-sook's true love
- Kim Chung as Ki-hoon's stepmother
|Episode #||Original broadcast date||Average audience share|
|TNmS Ratings||AGB Nielsen|
|Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area||Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area|
|1||31 March 2010||16.7%||16.2%||15.8%||15.9%|
|2||1 April 2010||16.4%||15.8%||14.5%||15.5%|
|3||7 April 2010||16.8%||16.4%||16.1%||17.7%|
|4||8 April 2010||18.0%||17.3%||17.7%||18.2%|
|5||14 April 2010||19.7%||19.1%||19.1%||20.7%|
|6||15 April 2010||18.6%||17.8%||18.2%||19.1%|
|7||21 April 2010||18.5%||17.8%||17.9%||18.2%|
|8||22 April 2010||19.0%||18.6%||18.0%||18.2%|
|9||28 April 2010||19.2%||18.8%||18.7%||19.6%|
|10||29 April 2010||20.8%||20.6%||19.2%||20.4%|
|11||5 May 2010||18.8%||18.4%||18.3%||19.7%|
|12||6 May 2010||20.5%||20.3%||19.2%||20.7%|
|13||12 May 2010||18.1%||18.4%||17.3%||17.5%|
|14||13 May 2010||18.7%||18.4%||16.7%||17.4%|
|15||19 May 2010||19.0%||19.1%||17.1%||17.9%|
|16||20 May 2010||16.8%||17.1%||14.8%||15.1%|
|17||26 May 2010||23.2%||23.8%||20.2%||21.0%|
|18||27 May 2010||21.0%||22.1%||19.4%||20.1%|
|19||2 June 2010||22.3%||23.6%||20.0%||21.3%|
|20||3 June 2010||22.7%||23.7%||19.4%||20.6%|
- 너 아니면 안돼 (It Has To Be You) - Yesung of Super Junior
- 불러본다 (Calling Out) - Luna and Krystal of f(x)
- 스마일 어게인 - Lee Yoon-jong
- 너 였다고 - JM
- 내 사랑을 구해줘! - Pink Toniq
- 그때 그 자리에
- 마이너 왈츠
- 느리게 걷기
- 내 사랑을 구해줘! (Rock version) - Pink Toniq
Awards and nominations
|2010||BGM Cyworld||Hall of Fame||"It Has To Be You"||Won|
|5th Cyworld Digital Music Awards||Song of the Month (April)||Won|
|25th Golden Disk Awards||Digital Bonsang||Nominated|
|2nd Melon Music Awards||Special Song OST Award||Nominated|
|3rd Korea Drama Awards||Best Actress||Moon Geun-young||Nominated|
|Best New Actress||Seo Woo||Won|
|KBS Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actor||Kim Kap-soo||Won|
|Top Excellence Award, Actress||Moon Geun-young||Won|
|Excellence Award, Actor in a Mid-length Drama||Chun Jung-myung||Nominated|
|Excellence Award, Actress in a Mid-length Drama||Moon Geun-young||Nominated|
|Best New Actor||Ok Taecyeon||Nominated|
|Best New Actress||Seo Woo||Nominated|
|Netizens' Award, Actor||Ok Taecyeon||Nominated|
|Netizens' Award, Actress||Moon Geun-young||Nominated|
|Popularity Award, Actress||Moon Geun-young||Won|
|Best Couple Award||Moon Geun-young and Chun Jung-myung||Nominated|
|2011||6th Cyworld Digital Music Awards||Best OST||"It Has To Be You"||Won|
|47th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actor (TV)||Ok Taecyeon||Nominated|
|Best Screenplay (TV)||Kim Gyu-wan||Nominated|
|Most Popular Actor (TV)||Ok Taecyeon||Nominated|
|Most Popular Actress (TV)||Moon Geun-young||Won|
- Kim, Jessica (25 March 2010). "Cinderella is not quite the fairy tale, says Taecyeon (1)". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Kim, Jessica (25 March 2010). "Cinderella is not quite the fairy tale, says Taecyeon (2)". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Choi, Ji-eun (12 May 2010). "On the set of TV series Sister of Cinderella". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Lynn Kim; Lee Ji-Hye (25 March 2010). "Preview: KBS TV series Sister of Cinderella". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Kim, Sun-young (2 April 2010). "REVIEW: TV series Sister of Cinderella - Premiere episode". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Choi, Ji-eun (4 June 2010). "REVIEW: TV series Sister of Cinderella - Final episode". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- "Moon to Play Villain in TV Drama". The Korea Times. 16 December 2009. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Han, Sang-hee (8 February 2010). "Top Actresses Heading Toward Small Screen". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Han, Sang-hee (30 March 2010). "Younger Men, Power, Money Fill Dramas". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Lim, Hye-seon (26 January 2010). "2PM Taecyeon mulling TV acting debut". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Park, So-yeon (23 February 2010). "2PM Taecyeon starts shooting for new drama". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Jin, Yeong-ju (19 March 2010). "Veteran Actress to Reveal Never-Shown Side in Cinderella's Stepsister". KBS Global. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- "TNMS Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". TNMS Ratings (in Korean). Retrieved 2010-03-31.
- "AGB Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". AGB Nielsen Media Research (in Korean). Retrieved 2010-03-31.
- Cinderella's Sister official KBS website (Korean)
- Cinderella's Sister at HanCinema
- Cinderella's Sister at the Internet Movie Database