Cinders (visual novel)
|Release date(s)||June 20, 2012|
Cinders is a visual novel video game based on the Cinderella story. It was released on June 20, 2012 for Windows and Mac OS. The game was developed and published by MoaCube. On May 1, 2014, the game was released on Steam.
As it is a visual novel, the player reads through the story and makes choices at crucial points to change the outcome, leading to one out of four different endings. The player has the ability to watch the endings including the variations again. Furthermore, there are eight trophies the player can collect during the game.
The protagonist of the story. Based on the player's choices her personality differs.
Cinders' younger stepsister. She is very cynical.
Cinders' older stepsister. She is stubborn and wants to be like Carmosa.
- Lady Carmosa
- Madame Ghede
People think of her as a witch.
- The Fairy
She seems to be the good fairy.
- Prince Basil
He is the prince and future king of the country.
He is a childhood friend of Cinders' and a merchant.
He is the captain of the village.
The game was created with the GameMaker engine by Tom Grochowiak. The music was composed by Rob Westwood, while the art was done by Gracjana Zielinska. Agnieszka Mulak, Hubert Sobecki, and Ayu Sakata wrote the story for the game. The development time took about one year.
The official soundtrack by Rob Westwood was released on December 24, 2012. It includes 18 tracks at a total length of 59:17. Cinders OST includes extended versions of all the game’s tracks. It won the yearly award for the "Best Original Score" in 2012 by VNs Now!
- Fairy Tales [02:15]
- The Curious One (Theme of Cinders) [03:02]
- What Lies Behind the Page [02:20]
- Buttered Water [03:04]
- Born from Decision [04:47]
- Pompous Wisdom [03:38]
- Living Upward [02:18]
- Tragic Double Standards [02:31]
- Swept Away [02:24]
- Voodoo Matriarch [02:34]
- A Friendly Face [04:08]
- Seedy, Greedy and Downright Sleazy [04:02]
- Weary of War [03:00]
- Certainly No Knight [04:11]
- A Fork in the Road [01:09]
- Dance With Me Noble Stranger [04:42]
- Romantic Interlude (Unused Title Theme) [02:12]
- Melodies and Blurbs (Medley of Themes) [06:51]
Cinders received 5/5 stars on GameZebo with reviewer Neilie Johnson writing: “If you've never experienced an interactive novel, Cinders is an exceptional example of the genre, and the perfect title with which to start.“
The game won the yearly award for the "Best Artist" (Gracjana Zielinska) in 2012 by VNs Now!
- "Cinders". Retrieved 2014-05-01.
- "Cinders: Original Soundtrack". Bandcamp. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- "Best Original Score". Twitter. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- Neilie Johnson (2012-06-25). "Review of Cinders". GameZebo. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- Cassandra Khaw (2012-06-26). "Review: Cinders (MoaCube)". IndieGames. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- Jim Rossignol (2012-06-21). "Novel Visuals: Cinders Is A "Complex" Fairy Tale". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- Patricia Hernandez (2012-06-21). "Move Over, Cinderella". Kotaku. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- "Best Artist". Twitter. Retrieved 2013-01-07.