Cinema of the Faroe Islands
The cinema of the Faroe Islands does not have a long history.
The Faroe Islands has a small population, and due to the high initial cost of movie making, the islands' cinema history is modest. (On the other hand, writing and book publishing is very popular). The first director of the Faroe Islands was Katrin Ottarsdóttir. Her first film set in the Faroe Islands was Atlantic Rhapsody in 1989. However, the first feature films in Faroese language with full Faroese castings ("Rannvà", "Heystblómur" and "Pall Fángi" were made in the mid-seventies by Miguel M. Hidalgo, a Spaniard who stayed for several years in the Faroe Islands.
Recently self-taught Johan Rimestad directed the self-financed feature Karrybollarnir, which takes place in Tórshavn.
This is a list of films concerning the Faroe Islands:
- 1989 - Atlantic Rhapsody - 52 scener fra Tórshavn
- 2003 - Brudepigen - Færgeturen - Jagten på kæledyret
- 1997 - Barbara (Denmark)
- 2002 - Burturhugur
- 1999 - Bye Bye Bluebird (road movie)
- 2003 - færøerne.dk
- 1976 - Heystblómur A film by Miguel M. Hidalgo. A modern tale about the impossible love of a schoolgirl and her older teacher.
Cast: Poul Kjartan Bærentsen, Katrin M. Johansen, Finnur Johansen, Ása Lützhöft Dunn.
- 2009 - Karrybollarnir A film by Johan Rimestad. A mockumentary about a fictional faroese rockband and their rise to fame.
Cast: Hallur Hjalgrímsson, Hjálmar Dam, Nikolaj Falk, Turpin N. Djuurhus, Hanna Flóvinsdóttir.
- 1995 - Maðurin ið slapp at fara
- 1977 - Páll Fangi A film by Miguel M. Hidalgo about a popular Faroese character.
Cast: Hans Jacob Hermansen, Kári Petersen, Sofía Sørensen, Jens John Osterø, Fraser Eysturoy, Høgni Joensen, Benny Samuelsen.
- 1975 - Rannvá (film version of Dagmar Joensen-Naes novel, produced and directed by Miguel M. Hidalgo.
Cast: Finnur Johansen, Elin Mouritsen, Gudrid H. Nielsen, Jørleif Kúrberg, Róland Samuelsen, Mortan A. Carlsen, Anna Maria Petersen, Hans Joensen, Fraser Eysturoy and more.
- 1992 - Tre blink mod vest
- 2005 - Trøllini og Mafian A children's film directed by Kári Sverrisson.
|This Faroe Islands article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|