Cinema of the Faroe Islands
The cinema of the Faroe Islands does not have a long history.
The Faroe Islands has a small population, and due to the high initial cost of movie making, the islands' cinema history is modest. (On the other hand, writing and book publishing is very popular). The first director of the Faroe Islands was Katrin Ottarsdóttir. Her first film set in the Faroe Islands was Atlantic Rhapsody in 1989. However, the first feature films in Faroese language with full Faroese castings ("Rannvà", "Heystblómur" and "Pall Fángi" were made in the mid-seventies by Miguel M. Hidalgo, a Spaniard who stayed for several years in the Faroe Islands.
Recently self-taught Johan Rimestad directed the self-financed feature Karrybollarnir, which takes place in Tórshavn.
In 2012 the first Faroese film prize was established, it is called Geytin. The young Faroese director Sakaris Stórá won the first award for his short film Summarnátt (Summer night). In 2013 he directed a new short film Vetrarmorgun (Winther morning), which was shown at the 64th Berlin International Film Festival.
This is a list of films concerning the Faroe Islands, either the director is Faroese or the film or parts of it is played in the Faroe Islands:
- 1989 - Atlantic Rhapsody - 52 scener fra Tórshavn
- 2003 - Brudepigen - Færgeturen - Jagten på kæledyret
- 1997 - Barbara (Denmark)
- 2002 - Burturhugur
- 1999 - Bye Bye Bluebird (road movie), directed by Katrin Ottarsdóttir
- 2003 - færøerne.dk
- 1976 - Heystblómur A film by Miguel M. Hidalgo. A modern tale about the impossible love of a schoolgirl and her older teacher.
Cast: Poul Kjartan Bærentsen, Katrin M. Johansen, Finnur Johansen, Ása Lützhöft Dunn.
- 2009 - Karrybollarnir A film by Johan Rimestad. A mockumentary about a fictional faroese rockband and their rise to fame.
Cast: Hallur Hjalgrímsson, Hjálmar Dam, Nikolaj Falk, Turpin N. Djuurhus, Hanna Flóvinsdóttir.
Cast: Lea Blaaberg, Hildigunn Eyðfinsdóttir, Hjálmar Dam, Bárður Persson, Gunnvá Zachariasen.
- 1977 - Páll Fangi A film by Miguel M. Hidalgo about a popular Faroese character.
Cast: Hans Jacob Hermansen, Kári Petersen, Sofía Sørensen, Jens John Osterø, Fraser Eysturoy, Høgni Joensen, Benny Samuelsen.
- 1975 - Rannvá (film version of Dagmar Joensen-Næs novel, produced and directed by Miguel M. Hidalgo.
Cast: Finnur Johansen, Elin Mouritsen, Gudrid H. Nielsen, Jørleif Kúrberg, Róland Samuelsen, Mortan A. Carlsen, Anna Maria Petersen, Hans Joensen, Fraser Eysturoy and more.
- 2012 - Summarnátt (Summer Night) A Faroese short film directed by Sakaris Stórá, length: 17 min. Cast: Gwenael Akira Helmsdal Carré, Renata Jensen, Armgarð G. Mortensen, Jensina Olsen and more. The film won the first Faroese film award, Geytin.
- 2013 - Vertarmorgun (Winter morning), a short film, directed and written by Sakaris Stórá, produced by Ingun í Skrivarastovu. Length: 19 min.
Cast: Armgarð Mortensen and Helena Heðinsdóttir.