|Genre||Slice of Life, Fantasy, Comedy, Adventure|
|Fluffy, Fluffy Cinnamoroll|
|Written by||Yumi Tsukirino
|Illustrated by||Yumi Tsukirino|
|English publisher||Viz Media|
|Original run||August 2005 – March 2008|
|Cinnamon the Movie|
|Directed by||Gisaburō Sugii|
|Released||December 22, 2007|
Cinnamoroll (シナモロール Shinamorōru?) is a character series created by Sanrio in 2001, with character designs from Miyuki Okumura. The main character, Cinnamon, is a white puppy with long ears, blue eyes, pink cheeks, and a plump and curly tail that resembles a cinnamon roll. He starred in his own Manga series, an anime movie and various animation shorts.
In its initial run, the series expanded into two official side series: Cinnamoangels (シナモエンジェルス Shinamoenjerusu?) in 2005, which focuses on Azuki, Mocha and Chiffon and Lloromannic (ルロロマニック Ruroromanikku?) in 2007, which focuses on both Berry and Cherry.
One day, while the owner of Café Cinnamon was admiring the sky, a tiny white puppy came floating by, looking just like a small, fluffy cloud. She thought, "Maybe he caught a whiff of the cinnamon rolls and came to check them out." The owner of the café was correct. The curious little puppy took a shine to the café owner and her delicious cinnamon rolls, so he decided to stay. Since his tail was plump and curled up like a cinnamon roll, she decided to call him Cinnamon. Cinnamon became instantly popular with customers and soon became Café Cinnamon's official mascot. Now, when he is not napping on the café terrace, Cinnamon flies around the town looking for fun and new adventures with his friends Chiffon, Mocha, Espresso, Cappuccino, and Little Milk.
- Cinnamon (シナモン Shinamon?)
- Voiced by: Taeko Kawata
- Cinnamon (Born March 6) is a male white and chubby puppy with long ears that enables him to fly. He has blue eyes, pink cheeks and a plump and curly tail that resembles a cinnamon roll. The owner of Cafe Cinnamon, a little cafe, looked up and saw a white puppy floating out of the sky like a fluffy cloud. The owner thought if he came because he smelled my cinnamon rolls. The puppy had a curly tail just like a cinnamon roll, so she called him Cinnamon. Cinnamon became instantly popular with customers and soon became Café Cinnamon's official mascot. Now, when he is not napping on the café terrace, Cinnamon flies around the town looking for fun and new adventures with his friends.
- Cappuccino (カプチーノ Kapuchīno?)
- Voiced by: Rei Sakuma
- Cappuccino (Born June 27) is a male puppy living in the house with the red roof across the street from Cafe Cinnamon. He likes to go at his own pace, eat a lot, and take lots of naps. Cappuccino is easy to recognize by his mouth, which is just like a cup of cappuccino and likes eating, but his favorite thing of all is napping. He is the glutton of the bunch and very chubby.
- Chiffon (シフォン Shifon?)
- Voiced by: Ikue Ōtani
- Chiffon (Born January 14) is a female puppy girl living right by a lush, green park and is the most energetic of the pups. Chiffon inspires her friends and doesn't sweat the small stuff. Her ears, which are fluffy like a chiffon cake, are her standout feature. She is also a Tomboy since she loves to play Tennis. She has a sensitive side when it comes to animals. She loves sports and dreams of winning a gold medal at the Olympics one day. Cinnamoroll has a crush on her and is also an animal lover. Alongside Mocha and Azuki, they make up the three-girl idol group Cinnamonangels. Chiffon's ear and tail color are brown (Sometimes orange as seen in the manga and rarely pink).
- Espresso (エスプレッソ Esupuresso?)
- Voiced by: Ryoko Shiraishi
- Espresso (Born December 4) is a male puppy living near the park in the biggest house around. Espresso is very intelligent and well-bred, but he gets lonely and whines sometimes. He's known for his distinguished Mozart hairstyle. His owner is a famous actress, and her dad is a well-known movie director. Espresso is especially good at drawing, painting and music. But he can’t sleep without his favorite blanket which makes him whine and cry like a sad puppy so very much. In the Manga, He wears a red or green Beret and red or green Kerchief.
- Mocha (モカ Moka?)
- Voiced by: Yumi Kakazu
- Mocha (Born February 20) is a female puppy living in a white house on top of a hill. She's a stylish chatterbox and also the "big sister" of the bunch, always looking out for others. Mocha is known for her silky chocolate-brown fur and her pink bows with flowers. She has a crush on Cinnamoroll and loves fashion and getting dressed up but doesn’t like bell peppers or bugs. She is the girly girl of the group. In the Manga, Mocha's fur color is light brown and she is seen wearing different hair accessories besides her pink flowers. Alongside Chiffon and Azuki, they make up the three-girl idol group Cinnamoangels.
- Milk (みるく Miruku?)
- Voiced by: Ikue Ōtani
- Milk (Born February 4) is a baby male pup living close to the park in a house with a chimney. The smallest and youngest of the pups, he likes being cuddled and will whine and cry if he doesn't have his favorite pacifier. Milk can be recognized by his blue Pacifier and the single curl of baby hair on top of his head. He can get spoiled sometimes. He wants to be just like Cinnamoroll when he grows up. His pacifier is his most prized possession, and he’s skilled at gulping down large quantities of milk. Milk can't talk so the only words he can say are "Ba-Boo".
- Cornet (コルネ Korune?)
- Cornet is a unicorn kid who lives in the sky above the clouds. His horn is shaped like an ice cream cone.
- Coco (ココ Koko?)
- Coco (Born July 25) is baby male pup who wears a red scarf around his neck. He along with his twin brother Nuts were rescued by Cinnamoroll when a white Stork got shocked by lightning during a thunderstorm, causing the bag to fall from its beak. Cinnamon, quickly flew down to catch the bag that the stork was carrying. By the time Cinnamon landed on the ground. He opened the bag to reveal that two newborn puppies were inside. Cinnamon then carried Coco and Nuts to Cafe Cinnamon to give them a new home. Coco's fur color is light brown and has a white spot on his mouth like his big brother Cappuccino and his twin brother Nuts. Coco and his brother Nuts both have different style ears. Coco and Nuts both appear in the 5th volume of the manga, where Cinnamon babysits the two while Cappuccino is away.
- Nuts (ナッツ Nattsu?)
- Nuts (Born July 25) is a baby male pup who wears a blue scarf around his neck. He is a more curious then his brother Coco and is often seen sleeping. Nut's Fur color is the same as Coco's fur color. Nuts along with his twin brother Coco appear in the 5th volume of the manga, where Cinnamon babysits the two while Cappuccino is away.
- Azuki (アズキ Azuki?)
- Voiced by: Masako Okōchi
- Azuki (Born September 25) is a female puppy who dreams to become an idol. She is ladylike but sometimes a little bit off in terms of personality. She is in charge of the Cinnamoangels’ manners, fortune-telling and also practices calligraphy and flower arrangement in hopes of becoming a true Japanese lady.
- Berry (べリー Berī?)
- Voiced by: Kōki Miyata (Onegai♪My Melody Kirara★)
- Berry (Born June 6) is the male demon with Ram Horns and black bat wings, who has the ability to transform into a more devilish form; his ram horns turn into devil's horns, gold eyes, grows sharp fangs, changes colors from medium-grey to dark-black, skeleton wings, sharp talon-like claws, and his voice changes. He seems to have the talent of making potions. Both Berry & Cherry would go through their magic mirror to enter into the human world to play tricks on children while they sleep. The Duo fear daytime and would hide in the closet or drawers, if they don't make it home in time until night returns and they are friends with a bat, a magical lantern and a Jack O' Lantern. Berry serves as narrators in the anime Onegai♪My Melody Kirara★, alongside Cherry.
- Cherry (チェリー Cherī?)
- Voiced by: Fujiko Takimoto (Onegai♪My Melody Kirara★)
- Cherry (Born September 9) is a female demon and Berry's partner-in-crime; but accidentally used a jar of salt that had its label covered by another saying "sugar". When Cherry transforms into her devilish form, her light-black closed bat wing ears change into dark-black opened bat wings, her black eyes into fandango, her top hat disappears, her teeth into fangs, and her voice changes. Cherry loves to play jokes on Berry. Cherry also has a crush on Espresso. Both Berry & Cherry would go through their magic mirror to enter into the human world to play tricks on children while they sleep. The Duo fear daytime and would hide in the closet or drawers, if they don't make it home in time until night returns and they are friends with a bat, a magical lantern and a Jack O' Lantern. Cherry serves as narrators in the anime Onegai♪My Melody Kirara★, alongside Berry.
When he was first created by Sanrio in 2001, he was called Baby Cinnamon. A year later he was "renamed" Cinnamoroll, to remedy any problems with the registration of the mark overseas, however he is now called in both ways, but also more simply Cinnamon. As of 2007, Cinnamoroll's original name "Baby Cinnamon" is no longer being used by Sanrio and is officially called "Cinnamoroll". In Japan, he is still named "Cinnamoroll" but he is mostly called "Cinnamon".
In 2007, Sanrio and Madhouse made a movie starring Cinnamon called "Cinnamoroll The Movie" (シナモン The Movie) which was released in Japan in December 22, 2007.
In the 2007, stop-motion series "Hello Kitty Stump Village". Cinnamoroll is one of the main characters next to Hello Kitty,My Melody,Pom Pom Purin,and Badtz-Maru. In the 2008, animated CGI TV series "The Adventures of Hello Kitty & Friends" Cinnamoroll is a minor character, and debuts in an episode called "Cinnamoroll Cafe" where he is building his own cafe. But, is to shy to ask for help.
Cinnamoroll quickly became the star of video games. There are four video games that features him and his friends. The earliest video games were "Cinnamoroll Koko ni Ruyo" which was released in Japan in 2003, and "Cinnamoroll FuwaFuwa Daibouken" which was released in Japan in 2005 which were only for the Game Boy Advance. Nintendo also made two Nintendo DS games called "Cinnamoroll: Ohanashi shiyo! - Kira Kira DE Kore Cafe" made in 2006, and a Pin Ball game called "Cinnamoroll: Kurukuru Sweets Paradise" made in 2007. He also made appearances in Hello Kitty games like Hello Kitty: Big City Dreams, Hello Kitty Birthday Adventures for the DS and Hello Kitty Seasons on the Wii. Cinnamoroll's friends also appear in certain areas in Hello Kitty Seasons. Cinnamoroll also appears in Sanrio's first and only Massively multiplayer online role-playing game called Hello Kitty Online as a NPC in certain special quests. The Cinnamoangels also made cameo appearances in Hello Kitty Online as statues in London along. While Cinnamoroll's friend Mocha and Chiffon and can be seen as one of the emoticons in a Cinnamoroll themed guild. Cinnamoroll also shows up in "Hello Kitty World" for the Android and iPhone as one of the characters you unlock once you add a new attraction when you reach a certain level. Cinnamoroll is also one of the racers in "Hello Kitty Kruisers" which is available for the Android,iPhone and Wii U.
A five volume manga of the series, titled Fluffy, Fluffy Cinnamoroll (ふわふわ♥シナモン Fuwafuwa ♥ shinamon?) was written by Chisato Seki and illustrated by Yumi Tsukirino. It was published in Japan from 2005 to 2008 by Shogakukan, serialized in the monthly magazine Pucchigumi. Viz Media started translating the manga in 2011 and was released to English speaking countries in 2012.
Characters of the series had also appeared in various Sanrio Puroland and HarmonyLand live shows,parades and events. Following their debut in 2007 with their first musical Cinnamon's Door of Secrets (シナモンなしひみつの扉 Shinamon nashi himitsu no tobira?).
In June 2012, Sanrio teamed up with MasatakaP to create an animated video coinciding the character's 10th Anniversary using the MikuMikuDance software. The video is handled by MastakaP for the animation while Intetsu, the Bassist of the band Ayabie handles the music. A downloadable version of Cinnamon for use with MikuMikuDance software is available by Sanrio until August 31, 2012. In October 2012, OSTER project announced an album called "Cinnamon Trip!!", which was released in Japan on December 12, 2012. There are 9 songs in the album, each sang by Cinnamoroll and his friends including the Cinnamoangels and Lloromannic. Each song has its own theme, such as Mocha's song "Petit Paris" which takes place in Paris,France and "Hawaiian Angels" which takes place in Hawaii and is sang by the Cinnamoangels.
Cinnamoroll is the second most popular Sanrio character franchise next to Hello Kitty, somehow not what Sanrio had expected in such a short time. The popularity of Cinnamoroll and minor characters kicked off in 2005 to a kind of "spinoff" called The Cinnamoangels which features Cinnamoroll's friend Mocha, Chiffon and Azuki. In 2011, Cinnamoroll got his own blog on the Japanese blogging and social networking website Ameba. In 2012, Cinnamoroll celebrated his 10th anniversary. To celebrate Cinnamoroll's 10th Anniversary an airport in Japan called Haneda Airport is having a Cinnamoroll showcase showing fan taken photos and some original Cinnamoroll pictures. There is an also, a Cinnamoroll statue that can be seen outside Bandai Headquarters in Tokyo,Japan.
- "Cinnamoroll". Sanrio. Archived from the original on 30 October 2012. Retrieved 2009-04-28.
- "Viz Media Launches Fun, Adorable Kids’ Manga Fluffy, Fluffy Cinnamoroll | Viz Media". Viz.com. 12 January 2012. Archived from the original on 30 April 2012. Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- "News J-Music : SCANDAL chante pour Tofu Kozo 22/03/2011" (in French). Total-manga.com. 24 March 2011. Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- "Sanrio's Cinnamoroll Animated Short with Song Streamed". Anime News Network. 2012-06-21. Archived from the original on 24 June 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-21.
- サンリオ@シナモロール スタッフブログ
- "Cinnamon Take Me With You! Photo Festival". 47mon.com. Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- Bentham, Rachel (7 March 2012). "Fluffy Fluffy Cinnamoroll Volume 1". Active Anime. Retrieved 23 April 2012.
- Carlson, Johanna Draper (2 January 2012). "Fluffy, Fluffy Cinnamoroll Book 1". Manga Worth Reading. Comics Worth Reading. Retrieved 23 April 2012.
- Dacey, Katherine (6 January 2012). "Fluffy, Fluffy Cinnamoroll, Vol. 1". The Manga Critic. Retrieved 23 April 2012.
- McNeil, Sheena (16 January 2012). "Fluffy, Fluffy Cinnamoroll Vol. 1". Sequential Tart. Retrieved 23 April 2012.
- Silverman, Rebecca (21 April 2012). "Fluffy, Fluffy Cinnamoroll GN 1". Anime News Network. Retrieved 23 April 2012.