Circadian advantage is a term that refers to a sporting team's advantage over another by virtue of its relative degree of acclimation to a time zone versus their opponent. While this concept was explored by researchers at Stanford in 1997, and at the University of Massachusetts, the term was coined in 2004 by Dr. W. Christopher Winter, a sleep specialist and neurologist studying the effects of travel between time zones on Major League Baseball (MLB) performance. This study was expanded into a ten-year retrospective study with a grant through MLB that was completed by Dr. Winter and his research assistant Noah H. Green, then an undergraduate student at the University of Virginia. The work was presented in 2008 at the 22nd Annual Meeting of the Associated Professional Sleep Societies in Baltimore, Maryland.
Using the convention that for every time zone crossed, synchronization to that time zone requires one day, teams can be analyzed during a season to see where they are in terms of being acclimated to their time zone of play. For example, consider a MLB team based in Washington D.C. If they have been competing at home for the last 3 days or more, they would be completely acclimated to Eastern Standard Time (EST). If they were to travel to Los Angeles, upon arrival they would be 3 hours off, because they traveled 3 time zones west. Every 24 hours spent on the west coast, would bring them 1 hour closer to acclimation. So after 24 hours in Los Angeles, they would be 2 hours off. After 48 hours, they would be 1 hour off, and after 72 hours, they would be acclimated to west coast time and would stay that way until they left their time zone.
Unlike home field advantage which is present any time two teams play a game that is not held in a neutral site, circadian advantage does not apply to all games. In a typical MLB season, it applies to approximately 20% of games played with the other 80% featuring teams at equal circadian advantage. In sports that allow more time between games, it may apply to significantly fewer games. Circadian advantage is much more of an issue in sports that feature significant international travel.
Circadian advantage is most significant when a team holds a 3-hour advantage (or more) over another. This match-up is only encountered after coast-to-coast flights in North America where the traveling team plays soon after arrival. As the magnitude of time zone differences between two teams becomes smaller, so too does circadian advantage.
- Smith, RS; Guilleminault, C; Efron, B (1997). "Circadian Rhythms and Enhanced Performance in the National Football League". Sleep 20 (5): 362–365. PMID 9381059.
- Recht, Lawrence D; Lew, Robert A; Schwartz, William J (1995). "Baseball Teams Beaten By Jet Lag". Nature 377 (6550): 583. doi:10.1038/377583a0. PMID 7566168.
- Winter, WC; Hammond, WR; Vaughn, BV (2005). "Tracking ‘Circadian Time’ as a Statistic During the 2004 Major League Baseball Season: A Pilot Study". Sleep 28: 64–5.
- Green, NH; Hammond, WH; Winter, WC (2008). "Measuring Circadian Advantage in Major League Baseball: A 10-Year Retrospective Study.". Sleep 31: 54.
- Arendt J, Stone B, Skene D. Jet Lag and Sleep Disruption. from Principles And Practice of Sleep Medicine, 3rd edition, eds. Kryger MH, Roth T, Dement WC. W.B. Saunders 2000: 591.
- Nikhil Swaminathan (2008-06-10). "Out of the Zone: Jet-Lagged Baseball Teams Suffer Disadvantage". Scientific American. Retrieved 2008-06-17.
- "The Circadian Advantage". Science Friday. National Public Radio. 2008-06-13. Retrieved 2008-06-17.
- Randy Dotinga (2008-06-11). "Baseball Teams Strike Out When Jet-Lagged". ABC News (also seen on Forbes.com and WashingtonPost.com). Retrieved 2008-06-17.
- Shari Roan (2008-06-10). "Can A Good Night's Sleep Save The Lakers?". LA Times. Retrieved 2008-06-17.
- Nicholas Bakalar (2008-06-29). "Traveling Through Time Zones Can Take Toll on Teams". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-06-28.
- Lloyd, Robert (2008-06-17). "Study explains Cubs' fall in '84". The Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2008-08-27.
- Austin Kelley (2009-07-17). "Baseball Veers Into Left Field". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2009-07-17.
- Tina Hesman Saey (2008-06-10). "Time On Their Side". Science News. Retrieved 2008-06-17.
- Jennifer Cutraro (2008-06-20). "For Kids: Hey Batter, Wake Up!". Science News. Retrieved 2008-06-20.
- Michael Smith (2008-06-10). "APSS: Time Zones Can Offer a Major League Edge (w/video interview)". MedPage Today. Retrieved 2008-06-17.
- "Major League Baseball Teams With Greater Circadian Advantage Are More Likely To Succeed". Science Daily. 2008-06-10. Retrieved 2008-06-17.
- Scott Soshnick (2008-07-02). "Sport Business Battle is Being Won By Business". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 2008-07-02.
- Matt Ford (2008-06-13). "The importance of sleep in sports and school". ars technica. Retrieved 2008-06-17.
- Jennifer Black (2008-06-30). "Major League Baseball Funds Local Doctor's Study". CBS 19 Charlottesville. Retrieved 2008-06-30.