Circle of Love (film)
|Circle of Love|
original film poster
|Directed by||Roger Vadim|
|Produced by||Raymond Hakim
|Written by||Jean Anouilh
|Music by||Michel Magne|
|Distributed by||Continental Distributing Inc.|
|Release dates||October 16, 1964|
|Running time||110 minutes|
Circle of Love (Original French title: La ronde) is a 1964 film directed by Roger Vadim and based on Arthur Schnitzler's 1897 play of the same name. The film generated minor controversy due Jane Fonda's involvement, as she was one of the first major American actresses to do a nude scene in a foreign film.
In 1913, a sentimental Parisian prostitute offers herself freely to a handsome soldier because he resembles her true love. Seeking to take advantage of all opportunities for lovemaking, the soldier seduces a lonely housemaid and then goes off to make other conquests. Returning home, the despondent maid allows her employer's son to make love to her. Encouraged by the experience, the young gentleman consummates his desire for a married woman. Refreshed by the love session, the married woman makes bold overtures to her stuffy husband. Later, he takes a midinette for his mistress, but the ambitious young woman forsakes him for an author she hopes will write a play for her. Instead, he pursues an established actress with whom he had an affair years before. He has little success, however, for the actress finds satisfaction only with young men, and she has a brief affair with the Count, a young officer. Following their encounter, the Count embarks on a night of wild revelry. Morning finds him in the flat of the sentimental prostitute, who this time collects a fee for her services. The cycle of love is now complete.
- Jane Fonda - Sophie / Die 'Junge Frau'
- Jean-Claude Brialy - Alfred / Der 'Junge Herr'
- Anna Karina - Rose / Das Stubenmädchen
- Francine Bergé - Maximilienne de Poussy / Die Schauspielerin
- Marie Dubois - La fille / Die Dirne
- Claude Giraud - Georges / Der Soldat
- Bernard Noël - L'auteur / Der Dichter
- Maurice Ronet - Henri / Der Ehemann
- Jean Sorel - Le comte / Der Graf
- Catherine Spaak - La midinette / Das 'Süße Mädel'
- Denise Benoît - Yvette Guilbert
The film was nominated for the Golden Globe Award for Best Foreign Language Film.
- La Ronde (1950 film) (The Round-Dance), a film directed by Max Ophüls, based on the same play
- Reigen (1973 film), a film directed by Otto Schenk, also based on the play
- Circle of Love at the Internet Movie Database
- Circle of Love at Rotten Tomatoes
- Circle of Love at the TCM Movie Database
|This article related to a French film of the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|