Citizen Jane (book)
first edition cover.
|Author||James Dalessandro, David Mehnert|
|Genre||non-fiction, Mystery, Thriller|
|October 2, 1999|
|Media type||Print (Hardback & Paperback)|
|Pages||384 pp (first edition)|
Jane Alexander was a sheltered, attractive widow living with her family in San Francisco. For six years, she had been living with Tom O'Donnell, her charismatic and handsome boyfriend. He had used wit, charm, and tales of adventure to borrow money for extensive home business operations and investing.
When her favorite 88-year-old aunt is gruesomely murdered in San Jose in 1983, she hires police detective Jack Morris to solve the case. Morris soon convinces her that the killer is her boyfriend, and after O'Donnell disappears with over $10,000 of her money and leaves her near bankruptcy, Jane embarks on an epic journey to outsmart the wily con-artist. The police are soon stumped, but after 13 years of collecting evidence on their own, Alexander and Morris manage to convict O'Donnell of first degree murder. He died in prison in January 2010.
James Dalessandro first read about Jane Alexander's story in the mid-1990s on the front page of the Pacific Sun in Marin County, California. Much of the research comes from detailed diaries that Jane Alexander kept of the entire ordeal. David Mehnert contributed to the book after being in a private screenwriting class taught by Alessandro.
Jane Alexander, then a grandmother of 12, actively contributed to the writing process. In 1994 she founded Citizens Against Homicide, which helps other citizens track down killers and solve cold cases, and in 2006 she received the prestigious Minerva Award for her efforts. She died on December 14, 2008, at the age of 86.
An adapted screenplay written by Dalessandro and produced by Peter Miller, Dalessandro's literary manager, was made into a Hallmark Channel film in 2009. Directed by Armand Mastroianni, it aired in September 2009. Alexander died while the film was in production. Cast members include:
- Ally Sheedy as Jane Alexander
- Meat Loaf as Detective Morris
- Sean Patrick Flanery as Tom O'Donnell
- Patty McCormack as Aunt Gertrude
- Nia Peeples as Best Friend Evelyn
- "Ally Sheedy and Meat Loaf Star In Hallmark's "Citizen Jane"". The Insider. June 18, 2009. Retrieved 2009-07-25.
- "Citizen Jane at imdb.com". International Movie Database. Retrieved 2009-07-25.
- Dalessandro, James. "James Dalessandro: Citizen Jane". www.RedRoom.com. Retrieved 2009-07-25.
- "James Dalessandro". Page ONE: Literary Newsletter Web Sit. 1998. Retrieved 2009-07-25.
- Milko, Chelsea (July 24, 2009). "Premiere Date of "Citizen Jane" Changed to September 12". www.AllHeadlineNews.com. Retrieved 2009-07-25.