Citizens Insurance, or Citizens, is the popular name for government established, not-for-profit insurers in Florida and Louisiana. In Florida, the insurer is Citizens Property Insurance Corporation. In Louisiana, the insurer is the Louisiana Citizens Property Insurance Corporation. Both were established in their respective states as insurers of last resort. The Louisiana corporation is also known as Louisiana Citizens
Citizens Property Insurance Corporation was created in 2002 by the Florida state government to provide property insurance for home-owners who could not obtain insurance elsewhere. It is a government-owned, not for profit, insurer of last resort.
From the website of the Louisiana Citizens Property Insurance Corporation: "The Louisiana Citizens Property Insurance Corporation is a nonprofit organization created to provide insurance products for residential and commercial property applicants who are in good faith entitled, but unable, to procure insurance through the voluntary insurance marketplace."  Citizens has the ability to levy assessments against all other Property and Casualty insurance policies should needed capital be otherwise unavailable. 
- Several companies in the Hanover Insurance Group use "Citizens Insurance" as part of their names. See: http://www.hanover.com/thg/companies.htm, Hanover's List of Affiliated Companies.
- Also, see: Citizens Life Insurance, Citizens Insurance Company of America, a life insurer with executive offices in Texas.
- As described on its website: www.lacitizens.com
- Hemenway, Chad (December 20, 2011). Donelon: Decision Against La. Citizens a ‘Potentially Devastating Event’. Property Casualty 360°. Retrieved December 21, 2011
- Insurance Agencies named Citizens Insurance in USA -- citizens-insurance.com
- Citizens Property Insurance Corporation -- www.citizensfla.com
- Louisiana Citizens Property Insurance Corporation -- www.lacitizens.com
- Homeowners for Affordable Coverage -- Homeowners Against Citizens / Having Affordable Coverage =