|Traded as||NASDAQ: CTXS|
|Headquarters||Santa Barbara, California|
|Products||Thin Client Software, Remote Access, Online Collaboration and Web Conferencing, Remote Support|
Citrix Online is the online services division of Citrix Systems, Inc. Citrix Online sells web-based remote access, support, and collaboration software and services. Its products are GoToAssist, GoToMeeting, GoToMyPC, GoToTraining, GoToWebinar, Podio, and HiDef Corporate.
The division is based in Santa Barbara, California.
Expertcity, Inc. was founded in 1997 by UCSB Professor Klaus Schauser and graduate students Bernd Oliver Christiansen and Malte Muenke. Investors included Sun Microsystems, ZDNet, Bertelsmann Ventures, and Wit Capital.
The company went live with a web-based marketplace for technical support services, called Expertcity, in December, 1999. A user of the service would submit a technical support question through a simple webform and receive Dutch auction bids from online experts to resolve the problem. Upon selecting one of the experts, the user would be connected to him via a chat interface and, optionally, via desktop sharing, whereby the expert could see the user's screen and remotely control the user's mouse and keyboard. This "remote desktop" technology formed the kernel of later products for Citrix Online.
The remote desktop technology behind the support marketplace enabled additional products. June 2000 saw the debut of DesktopStreaming (now GoToAssist), a corporate product that lets companies use desktop sharing for technical support between their own customers and support representatives. GoToMyPC, which allows a user to remotely access his or her own desktop, followed in early 2001.
In 2003, Citrix Systems acquired Expertcity, then a major player in web-based desktop access, in a transaction valued at approximately $225 million in cash and stock. Expertcity became the Citrix Online division of Citrix and retained many of the key developers of the original company.
At the time of the acquisition, Expertcity was developing GoToMeeting, a product that uses the remote desktop engine to allow multiple users to view and control a single desktop, enabling both collaborative support and collaborative presentations. In 2006, Citrix Online adapted GoToMeeting to support the growing market for web-based training and web-based seminars. The resulting GoToWebinar product and the GoToTraining product that launched in 2010 allow hundreds of attendees to view a single screen and join in a phone conference.
In 2008, Citrix acquired Vapps, Inc., an audio conferencing provider, and created Citrix Online Audio, LLC. Shortly after, they released HiDef Corporate,a flat-rate, hosted audio conferencing service.
In 2010, Citrix acquired Paglo Labs and released GoToManage, an IT management and support tool. GoToManage became part of GoToAssist in 2012.
- GoToAssist (formerly DesktopStreaming) — services for businesses to facilitate remote technical support and monitoring for IT environments
- GoToMeeting — collaboration and meetings with up to 25 attendees
- GoToMyPC — remote desktop access for individuals and medium & large enterprises
- GoToTraining — training and development with up to 200 attendees
- GoToWebinar — seminars and presentations with up to 1000 attendees
- Podio — collaborative work platform to manage and collaborate on any project or business process
- HiDef Corporate — audio conferencing with web-based administration and control
- BuddyHelp — desktop sharing for individuals to facilitate remote technical support
- ExpertLive (formerly Expertcity) — technical support marketplace
- Vizard, Michael. "Citrix Commissions Partners For Software-As-A-Service", CRN, August 05, 2005
- "Software-as-a-Service: HyperGrowth Model or Hype?", Information Management, April 23, 2007
- Citrix Online management team
- "Expertcity.com Secures $30 Million in Latest Round of Funding from Sun Microsystems, ZDNet, Bertelsmann Ventures and Wit Capital's Arista Capital Partners, LP", Expertcity press release, December 2, 1999
- Schwartz, Ephraim. "Start-Ups to Put Tech-Support Services Up for Bid", Computerworld, May 1, 2000
- "Expertcity.com and Excite@Home Deliver Live Expert Help", Expertycity press release, January 20, 2000
- "Expertcity Transfers Its Award-Winning ExpertLive Marketplace for Services to Tech24, Inc.", Expertcity press release, December 17, 2001
- "Expertcity.com’s DesktopStreaming Success Leads to Launch of New ASP Division", Expertcity press release, June 28, 2000
- "Citrix to Acquire Expertcity, Leader in Web-Based Desktop Access with GoToMyPC and GoToAssist", Citrix press release, December 18, 2003
- "Citrix Online expands into online training market". Scoop. February 17, 2010
- Takahashi, Dean. "Citrix buys venture-backed Vapps for $26.6 million". VentureBeat. November 14, 2008
- Levine, Daniel. "Citrix Online acquires Paglo, enters IT management with launch of GoToManage". TechCrunch. February 23, 2010
- Leske, Nicola (April 11, 2012). "Citrix Systems buys online work platform Podio". Reuters. Retrieved 24 July 2012.