|Assembly||Sochaux, France (PSA Sochaux Plant)
Shenzhen, China (Chang'an Automobile Group)
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Compact executive car|
|Body style||5-door hatchback|
|Wheelbase||2,727 mm (107.4 in)|
|Length||4,530 mm (178.3 in)|
|Width||1,871 mm (73.7 in) (2,128 mm (83.8 in) with mirrors)|
|Height||1,504 mm (59.2 in)/1,513 mm (59.6 in)|
|Kerb weight||1,500 kg (3,307 lb)|
The Citroën DS5 is a compact executive car by French automaker Citroën that was launched for the European market in November 2011. It is the third model in the new premium (Luxury vehicle) sub-brand DS and runs alongside its mainstream cars. The DS5 was revealed at the 2011 Shanghai Auto Show in April 2011.
Although Peugeot and Citroën products have shared platforms and principal components since the closing decades of the twentieth century, the DS5 became in 2011 the first Citroën branded car to be assembled in Peugeot's lead European plant at Sochaux.
The DS5 mixes hatchback and estate styling resembling a shooting-brake. The styling was influenced by the C-Sportlounge concept car shown at the 2005 Frankfurt Motor Show. It is 4,530 mm (178.3 in) long and 1,871 mm (73.7 in) wide, dimensions that are similar to those of the Lancia Delta. This is hardly a coincidence: the DS5 is based on the PF2 platform as 3008 is too, not on the C5 as its name would imply.
Like the original concept car, its interior is heavily aviation inspired and available with two centre consoles - one of which is located on the roof directly above the other. With a head-up display in front of the driver, the cabin is designed to resemble a jet aeroplane. Emphasising its links to aviation, and the original Citroen DS model, the carmaker recreated an old photoshoot of the car with Concorde.
Buyers are able to choose between a turbocharged petrol and two diesel engines, but the drivetrain that Citroën is focusing on is PSA's diesel-electric Hybrid4. It marries a 163 hp 2.0 HDi diesel engine with a 37 hp (28 kW) electric motor mounted on the rear axle and sends the power to all four wheels as it is needed. Depending on trim level, this powertrain emits 99g/km or 107g/km CO2, and the car can drive on electricity alone if the battery is sufficiently charged. It is also worth noting that the DS5 will be the first Citroën with a hybrid drivetrain, and the first production car with a diesel-electric hybrid drivetrain.
Citroen DS 5LS
The DS 5LS had been launched in March 28, 2014, it is the first DS model that applied "DS wing" front face design and wears independent DS logo and this model is considered as a declaration of the independence of DS brand.
- The DS5 Hybrid4 has won the Best Eco car from the Scottish Car of the Year 2012 held at Glasgow on the 14th October 2012.
- The DS5 won Top Gear (magazine) "Family Car of the Year 2011".
Sales and production
|Year||Worldwide Production||Worldwide sales||Notes|
|2011||4,560||3,255||Total DS5 production reaches 4,773 units.|
|2012||29,700||27,800||Total DS5 production reaches 34,500 units.|
- "PSA Annual Report 2012". Car manufacturers. PSA. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- "PSA Sochaux: la 20 millionième Peugeot sortie des chaînes offerte à un orphelinat d'Haïti". AFP. 7 December 2010. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
- Julian Marsh. "Citroën DS5 meets Concorde". Citroenet.org.uk. Retrieved 2012-04-22.
- "Citroën DS5 - All engine types - TECHNOLOGY AND PERFORMANCE". Ds5.citroen.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-04-22.
- (French) François Hollande en Citroën DS5 : un choix gaulliste, protectionniste et écologiste., Marianne
- :Martin Love Citroen DS5 The Guardian
- What Car?. "Citroën DS5 Hatchback Review". Whatcar.com. Retrieved 2012-04-26.
- Paul Horrell. "Citroën DS5". topgear.com. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- "Engine specs from PSA Peugeot Citroën". Creator and designer. PSA Peugeot Citroën. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- "Memento Mars 2013" (in French). PSA Peugeot Citroën. 21 February 2013. p. 50. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
Media related to Citroën DS5 at Wikimedia Commons
|« previous — Automobiles Citroën, a subsidiary of PSA Peugeot Citroën since 1976, car timeline, 1980s–present|
|City car||C1||C1 II|
|Supermini||LN / LNA||AX|
|Visa||C3 I||C3 II|
|Small family car||C4 Cactus|
|GSA||ZX||Xsara||C4 I||C4 II|
|Large family car||BX||Xantia||C5 I||C5 II|
|Mini MPV||Nemo Multispace|
|Compact MPV||Xsara Picasso||C3 Picasso|
|C4 Picasso I||C4 Picasso II|
|Van||H Van||C25||Jumpy I||Jumpy II|
|C35||Jumper I||Jumper II|