||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (August 2011)|
|Type of site||social networking / information site|
City-Data is a private Illinois-based social networking and information website that presents data and information relevant to U.S. cities. City-data.com is owned and operated by Advameg, Inc. According to Quantcast, which directly measures the traffic to City-data.com, as of May 7, 2012, it is ranked as 72nd largest website in the United States with over 13 million visitors per month. The website was created in 2003.
U.S. cities, counties, zip codes, and neighborhoods are profiled and compared using data about race, income, education, crime, weather, housing, maps, air pollution, religions and any other information deemed vital. In addition, the website contains detailed information and articles about other features of local interest, such as schools and their demographics and test scores, hospitals, libraries, tourist attractions, local businesses, restaurant inspection findings, building permits, bridge conditions, hotels, water systems, airports, cell phone towers, property tax assessments, and car accidents. The site allows users to obtain home value estimates and see recent home sales and search for over 14 million businesses. In addition, it contains multiple tools, such as a gasoline usage calculator for trips and mortgage calculators.
Data sources for the website's various indicators are not publicly disclosed. According to the site's 'About' page, "[City-data.com] cannot help in licensing or obtaining any of the data used on our site. Some content used on our site is under license from other companies."
- "Traffic details for city-data.com". Alexa. Retrieved 2012-05-07.
- "Advameg, Inc.".
- "City-data.com Quantcast audience profile". Retrieved 2012-05-07.,"Quantcast Top 100 sites". Retrieved 2012-05-07.
- "Faqs.org: City-data.com website information". Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- "Internet Archive Wayback Machine: City-data.com". Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- City-Data.com, "Contact Us and Advertise" http://www.city-data.com/contacts.html
- "City-Data homepage". Retrieved 2012-05-07.
- "Times Live (NZ): Mother and son reunited 17 years after kidnap". Retrieved 2010-02-01.