City Hall MRT Station
| NS25 EW13
City Hall MRT Station
Stesen MRT City Hall
Platform of City Hall MRT station.
|Address||150 North Bridge Road
|Opened||12 December 1987|
|Station code||NS25 EW13|
|Operator||SMRT Trains (SMRT Corporation)|
City Hall MRT Station (NS25/EW13) is an underground Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) station in Singapore, that is part of the North South Line and the East West Line in Singapore, and serves as an interchange station between the two lines.
It is located in the Civic District in the Downtown Core, which is within the Central Area, the central business district of Singapore. It is situated underground, beneath the junction of Stamford Road and North Bridge Road, and is thus east of the Singapore River. The commercial district of Raffles Place and the respective Raffles Place station is located across the River. City Hall station is one of the more prominent and busier stations within Singapore's transport system, especially being an interchange station located within the Central Area. The national monument of City Hall is within walking distance from the station.
On June 5, 2008, 280 youths spent the night at City Hall, learning how to deal with an emergency in a train tunnel.
At around midnight, the young campers boarded a train and as the train departed, there was a simulated bomb explosion. They activated the detrainment ramps at both ends of the train, and evacuated to safety via an escape shaft. The students also used the items from their Ready Bags to "survive" the attack.
A power failure and blackout occurred at the station on 6 July 2012 at about 1.30 pm, causing the platforms for north and west-bound trains turned pitch black. Air-conditioning and escalators also stopped functioning. Emergency lighting was turned on immediately after the incident occurred. However, train services were not affected by the incident. Lighting was progressively restored from 2 pm, and was back to normal at 3.15 pm. All escalators have also been turned on. SMRT has apologised for any inconvenience caused.
This station was part of the series of 2011 MRT train disruptions on 15 and 17 December 2011, caused by a misalignment between the trains' current collector shoes, which collect power from the third rail, and the third rail itself. These were Singapore's two largest MRT disruptions at the time of occurrence.
There is a mural along the wall of the station called Vitreous Enamelled Mural by Simon Wong. However, this art piece is not under the Art in Transit scheme.
|L1||Street Level||Exit/ Entrance|
|G1||Linkway||to CityLink Mall, One Raffles Link|
|Out-of-system transfer to CC3 Esplanade|
|B1||Concourse||Faregates, Ticketing Machines, Station Control, Transitlink|
|B2||Platform A||North South Line towards NS1 EW24 Jurong East via NS24 NE6 CC1 Dhoby Ghaut (→)|
|Island platform, doors will open on the right|
|Platform D||East West Line towards EW29 Joo Koon via EW14 NS26 Raffles Place (←)|
|B3||Platform C||North South Line towards NS27 CE2 Marina Bay via EW14 NS26 Raffles Place (←)|
|Island platform, doors will open on the left|
|Platform B||East West Line towards EW1 Pasir Ris via EW12 DT14 Bugis (→)|
On the ticket level of the station, it leads directly up to street level, with access by escalator, and has two exits, one leading up to North Bridge Road, and one leading to the Raffles City and to the adjacent Stamford Road. The underground CityLink Mall is also linked to the station, providing access to Suntec City, Marina Square, Esplanade Theatres and, along with Raffles City, Esplanade on the Circle Line.
- A : Singapore Recreation Club, The Cenotaph, Bras Basah Complex, Fairmont Singapore, Raffles City Shopping Centre / Convention Centre, SMRT HQ, War Memorial Park, Carlton Hotel, National Library, Raffles Hotel, Singapore Management University, Cathedral of The Good Shepherd, National Museum of Singapore, Singapore Art Museum, Swissotel The Stamford S'pore, Chijmes, NTUC Income Centre / Trade Union House
- B : Peranakan Museum, Supreme Court Building, Capitol Building / Capitol Centre, Parliament House, Singapore Philatelic Museum, The Adelphi Lifestyle Mall, City Hall / Padang, Peninsula Excelsior Hotel, St Andrew's Cathedral, The Arts House, Armenian Church, Funan Digitalife Mall, Peninsula Plaza, Stamford Court / Stamford House, The Substation, Asian Civilisations Museum, Grand Plaza Park Hotel
- C : Marina Square / Marina Leisureplex, Esplanade Park, Singapore Flyer, Esplanade – Theatres On the Bay, Suntec City / S'pore International Convention and Exhibition Centre, Marina Mandarin / Mandarin Oriental / Pan Pacific Hotel Marina / The Ritz-Carlton Millenia S'pore / Conrad Centennial S'pore
|Destination||First Train||Last Train|
|Mon – Sat||Sunday &
|North South Line|
|to NS1 Jurong East||6.05am||6.30am||11.44pm|
|to NS27 Marina Bay||5.54am||6.20am||11.54pm|
|to NS16 Ang Mo Kio||–||–||12.11am|
|East West Line|
|to EW1 Pasir Ris||6.01am||6.29am||12.11am|
|to EW29 Joo Koon||5.57am||6.24am||11.52pm|
- "280 youths take part in emergency exercise in MRT tunnel". Channel NewsAsia. 2008-06-06.
- "Power blackout at City Hall MRT station". Channel NewsAsia. July 6, 2012.
- "City Hall MRT lights, escalators back on after blackout". Channel NewsAsia. July 6, 2012.
- Low, Ignatius (December 16, 2011). "Singapore's MRT Breakdown Chaos Leaves Thousands Stranded". The Straits Times. Retrieved November 3, 2012.
- "MRT breaks down again". Channel NewsAsia. 2011-12-17.
- "North-South Line service resumes after 7-hour disruption". Channel NewsAsia. 2011-12-17.
- "Service disruption on North-South Line on 17 Dec 2011".