City School District of Albany
|City School District of Albany|
|Type and location|
|Grades||Pre-kindergarten, K-12, Incarcerated Youth High School, Adult Evening High School|
|Location||Albany, New York|
|Superintendent||Marguerite Vanden Wyngaard, Ph.D.|
|Students and staff|
|Unions||NYSUT, Albany Public School Teachers Association|
The City School District of Albany (also known as the Albany City School District) is the public school district of Albany, New York. The district is an independent public entity. It is governed by the City School District of Albany Board of Education, whose members are elected in non-partisan elections for staggered, four-year terms. The board selects a superintendent, who is the district's chief administrative official. The district's offices are located in the Old Albany Academy Building at Academy Park. It publishes a seasonal newsletter called Capital Education.
The district has twelve elementary schools, three middle schools, one comprehensive high school, and several other institutions of various types serving about 8,400 students. It spends an average of $9,227 per pupil and has a student to teacher ratio of 13.7 (the national averages are $6,058 and 15.9 respectively).
Since 1999, twelve new charter schools have opened in Albany. Two have since been closed by the State, and a third is slated for closure, which will leave a total of nine. Before the charter schools opened, the district had approximately 10,400 students. The district is mandated by New York State to spend over $30 million on charter schools in 2013-14.
- Abrookin Vocational-Technical Center- Disconnected building of Albany High School that houses career and technical classes (9th-12th Grade)
- Albany High School- comprehensive high school) (9th-12th Grade)
- William S. Hackett Middle School (6th-8th Grade)
- Stephen & Harriet Myers Middle School (6th-8th Grade)
- North Albany Academy (Pre K- Grade 8)
Some elementary schools serve grades Pre K-5 while others serve grades PreK-6. One School serves grades PreK-8.
- Albany School of Humanities (ASH) (Pre K- Grade 6)
- Arbor Hill Elementary Community School (Pre K- Grade 6)
- Eagle Point Elementary School (formerly Public School 27) (Pre K- Grade 6)
- Giffen Memorial Elementary School (Pre K- Grade 6)
- Montessori Magnet School (Pre K- Grade 5)
- North Albany Academy (formerly Public School 20) (Pre K- Grade 8)
- Thomas O'Brien Academy of Science & Technology (TOAST) (Pre K- Grade 5)
- Pine Hills Elementary School (formerly Public School 16) (Pre K- Grade 6)
- Delaware Community School (formerly Public School 18) ( Pre K- Grade 5)
- New Scotland Elementary (formerly Public School 19) (Pre K- Grade 5)
- Philip J. Schuyler Achievement Academy (Pre K- Grade 5)
- Sheridan Preparatory Academy (Pre K-Grade 5)
- Adult Learning Center (now located at 50 North Lark St)
Board of Education
There are seven (7) Board members. They are elected in the November general elections to staggered four year terms, which expire on December 31.
- Rose Brandon (President, elected in 2008, re-elected 2012, term expires in 2016)
- Daniel Egan (Vice President, elected in 2008, re-elected 2012, term expires in 2016)
- Ginnie Farrell (Secretary, elected in 2011, term expires in 2015)
- Sue Adler (elected in 2011, re-elected 2013, term expires in 2017)
- Kenneth M. Bruce (appointed on July 17, 2014, term expires in 2014)
- C. Anthony Owens (elected in 2013, term expires in 2017)
- Alexandra Streznewski (elected in 2010, term expires in 2014)
- 1975–82: David Bray
- 1982–1989: David Brown
- 1989–94: John Bach
- 1994–96: Arthur "Sam" Walton
- 1996–1997: Eleanor Bartlett (interim)
- 1997–2003: Lonnie Palmer
- 2003–04: Michael Johnson
- 2004–09: Eva C. Joseph, Ed.D.
- 2009–2012: Raymond Colucciello, Ed.D.
- 2012–Present: Marguerite Vanden Wyngaard, Ph.D.
Superintendent Vanden Wyngaard's current salary is $193,000, about $24,000 more than the previous superintendent.
- Albany City Schools -- Publications. Retrieved July 11, 2009.
- Albany, New York (NY) education and school resources - Sperling's BestPlaces
- Brad Kelly (June 30, 1989). "Last Day in School Brown Vows Not to Second-Guess Successor". Times Union (Albany, New York).
- Vincent Jackson (June 15, 1994). "District's First Superintendent Not to Rise Up through the Ranks". Times Union (Albany, New York).
- Rick Karlin (July 3, 1996). "Walton Quits; Albany Stunned". Times Union (Albany, New York).
- Tim O'Brien (June 1, 1997). "Schools Chief Is Chosen in Albany". Times Union (Albany, New York).
- Brian Nearing (June 3, 2004). "Johnson Exit Rattles District". Times Union (Albany, New York).
- Mark Mishler (March 25, 2009). "Superintendent Announces Retirement". Times Union (Albany, New York).
- Chris Churchill (March 13, 2014). "Albany School Salaries Climb as Students Suffer". Times Union (Albany, New York).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to City School District of Albany.|