City of Geraldton
|City of Geraldton (former)
Location in Western Australia
|• Density||439.2/km2 (1,137.4/sq mi)|
|Area||46.3 km2 (17.9 sq mi)|
The City of Geraldton was a local government area in the Mid West region of Western Australia, 424 kilometres (263 mi) north of the state capital, Perth on the Indian Ocean. The City covered an area of 46.3 square kilometres (17.9 sq mi), and its seat of government was the town of Geraldton.
The council amalgamated with the Shire of Greenough, which contained Geraldton's industrial and outer suburban areas, in 2007 to form the City of Geraldton-Greenough. The area is now, as of 1 July 2011, part of the City of Greater Geraldton.
Geraldton was gazetted as a municipal district in 1871. On 1 July 1961, it became a town following the enactment of the Local Government Act 1960. On 22 April 1988, Geraldton attained city status.
A recommendation was made to the Minister for Local Government by the Local Government Advisory Board in August 2006 to amalgamate the City of Geraldton with the neighbouring Shire of Greenough.
The Greenough electors successfully petitioned for a referendum to determine whether amalgamation should proceed. This was held on 2 December 2006, and with a participation rate of 28.74%, a majority of 80% voted against the proposal. However, under the Local Government Act 1995 (clause 10 of Schedule 2.1) as the vote did not attract 50% of registered voters, it did not meet the requirements for a valid poll.
The councillors of both local government authorities resigned at the end of April 2007, and the first elections were held in October 2007.
The City had not been divided into wards since the 1970s, and the twelve councillors represented all electors. The mayor was directly elected.
- Bluff Point
- Mahomets Flats
- Mount Tarcoola (split with Shire of Greenough)
- Sunset Beach
- Utakarra (split with Shire of Greenough)
- West End
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 March 2008). "Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2007–08 - Western Australia". Retrieved 11 October 2009.
- WA Electoral Commission, Municipality Boundary Amendments Register (release 2.0), 31 May 2003.
- Western Australian Electoral Commission (2 December 2006). "Greenough - Voting In Person Referendum". Archived from the original on 2007-08-30. Retrieved 2007-04-28.
- Local Government Advisory Board (December 2006). "Inquiry Reports - Geraldton Greenough Inquiry Report". Retrieved 2007-04-28.