City of Knox
|City of Knox
Map of Melbourne showing City of Knox
|• Density||1,312.3/km2 (3,398.8/sq mi)|
|Area||113.8 km2 (43.9 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Cr Karin Orpen|
|Council seat||Wantirna South|
|Region||Southeast Metropolitan Melbourne|
The City of Knox is a local government area in Victoria, Australia in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. It has an area of 113.8 square kilometres (43.9 sq mi) and at the 2011 Census, Knox had a population of 149,340.
The City of Knox was named after Sir George Hodges Knox (1885-1960), a former soldier and speaker of the Victorian Legislative Assembly. The City of Knox Crest incorporates his family’s motto ‘Move and Prosper’.
The area which is now Knox was once part of the Scoresby Riding of the Shire of Berwick. On 23 May 1889, the riding was severed to create the Shire of Fern Tree Gully, which extended as far east as Olinda and Monbulk in the Dandenong Ranges. Post-World War II development in the area closer to Melbourne led to rapid urbanisation and population growth—over 21,000 residents lived in the Knox area by the 1961 Census. A plebiscite to determine local residents' views led to the creation of the Shire of Knox on 9 October 1963, which was proclaimed on 16 November 1963 by the Governor of Victoria. It was declared a City on 4 July 1969. By the 1986 Census, the area was home to over 100,000 residents.
On 15 December 1994, the City of Knox was one of the few councils to survive the statewide amalgamation and its boundaries extended to add the suburb of Upper Ferntree Gully and part of Lysterfield from the former Shire of Sherbrooke.
At present, the City of Knox has nine wards, each electing one councillor for a period of four years.
- Baird Ward
- Chandler Ward
- Collier Ward
- Dinsdale Ward
- Dobson Ward
- Friberg Ward
- Scott Ward
- Taylor Ward
- Tirhatuan Ward
Prior to 1994, the Council had three wards, each of which elected three councillors:
- Bayswater/Wantirna Ward
- Boronia Ward
- Rowville/Scoresby Ward
Suburbs within the boundaries of the city include:
- Ferntree Gully
- Lysterfield (Shared with the Shire of Yarra Ranges)
- Sassafras (Shared with the Shire of Yarra Ranges)
- The Basin
- Wantirna South
See List of Melbourne suburbs for other Melbourne suburbs and municipalities.
- Hills Bible Church
- Knox Community Baptist Church
- Knox Presbyterian Church
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Knox (Local Government Area)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 2012-08-27.
- Knox City Council (2007). "The City History". Retrieved 20 December 2007.
- Victorian Municipal Directory. Brunswick: Arnall & Jackson. 1992. pp. 409, 832–833. Accessed at State Library of Victoria, La Trobe Reading Room.
- Knox City Council - Official website
- Knox Central Primary School
- Public Transport Victoria local public transport map
- Link to Land Victoria interactive maps
- Knox Historical Society Inc.
- Ringwood Community Garden - Selkirk Avenue, Wantirna