City of Onkaparinga
|City of Onkaparinga
|• Density||294.8/km2 (764/sq mi)|
|Area||518.4 km2 (200.2 sq mi)|
|Council seat||Noarlunga Centre|
|State electorate(s)||Davenport, Finniss, Fisher, Heysen, Kaurna, Mawson, Mitchell, Reynell|
|Federal Division(s)||Boothby, Kingston, Mayo|
|Website||City of Onkaparinga|
The City of Onkaparinga is a local government area (LGA) located on the southern fringe of Adelaide, South Australia. It is named after the Onkaparinga River, whose name comes from Ngangkiparinga, a Kaurna word meaning women's river. It is the largest LGA in South Australia, with an estimated population of 164,800 people in both urban and rural communities and is also geographically expansive, encompassing an area of 518.3 km². The council is headquartered in the Noarlunga Centre with area offices situated in Aberfoyle Park, Woodcroft and Willunga.
The City of Onkaparinga was formed on the 1 July 1997, from the amalgamation the former Cities of Happy Valley and Noarlunga with part of the District Council of Willunga.
The Elected Council meets at the chambers in Noarlunga Centre on Hannah Road every three weeks on a Tuesday.
The City of Onkaparinga has 21 elected members (including the mayor). The city is divided into five electoral wards, with four councillors representing each. The mayor is elected at large by all electors.
The current council was elected in 2014 for a four-year term.
- Steph Morton OAM, Commonwealth Games Gold medalist, velodrome, 2014
- Chris Finnen, Blues Hall of Fame member
- Scott Hicks, Film Director Shine, The Boys are Back, Snow falling on cedars
- Erik Thomson (born 27 April 1967 in Inverness, Scotland, UK) is an Australian actor known for playing Hades in the television series Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, Dr. Mitch Stevens in All Saints and Dave Rafter in Packed to the Rafters. He won an Australian Film Institute Award for his performance in the Australian feature film Somersault.
- Julie Howard - radio broadcaster
- Gail Kilby, Wine Coast Ward Councillor, Deputy Mayor 2013/2014
- Caleb J. Sutherland, Landscape Photographer, Winner of the 2013 Onkaparinga Young Citizen of the Year.
- John F. Davis, artist/painter, living at Maslin Beach, spouse Evelyn Roth.
- Cedar Prest, an Australian stained glass artist based in Aldinga
- Gillian Rolton, Olympic Equestrian Gold Medallist, based in Clarendon.
- David Copley, Kaurna Elder - Traditional Guardian, Living in Aldinga beach
- Local Government Areas of South Australia
- List of Adelaide suburbs
- List of Adelaide parks and gardens
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (30 March 2010). "Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2008–09". Retrieved 4 June 2010.
- "Elected members". The City of Onkaparinga. Retrieved 5 May 2015.
- "COUNCILLOR GAIL KILBY, WINE COAST WARD, CITY OF ONKAPARINGA". Gail Kilby. Retrieved 5 May 2015.
- "City of Onkaparinga suburb boundaries map". City of Onkaparinga. 9 January 2014. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- "JULIE HOWARD". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 5 May 2015.
- City of Onkaparinga
- Onkaparinga community snapshot
- The South Adelaide Football Club
- The SAFC Fan Forum