January 1, 2007
|Headquarters||London, England, United Kingdom|
citysocializer (formally known as CitySocialising) is a subscription-based social networking website based in London and serving the United Kingdom. The website focuses on what it calls "Online2Offline", providing users a place to connect through common interests and events which lead to meeting new people offline. The website has over 250,000 users.
History & company
citysocializer was founded in January 2007 by ex-BBC producer Sanchita Saha. The company was initially funded through with R&D support from The Prince's Trust. In 2009 the company raised £260,000 in investments through the London Business Angels group. These funds went towards city expansions, marketing and platform developments. By 2010 they had brought in £300,000 in revenue. In December 2010 citysocializer secured £1 million in a Series A round which was led by PROfounders Capital. This investment would be used for product development, expansion, and staff recruitment development and product management.
Localism & membership
Unlike many social networking websites, citysocializer focuses on "Online2Offline". The concept promotes common interests and local event that will allow users to meet new people offline. As of 2010, citysocializer reached 40 cities within the United Kingdom and has over 250,000 users. The website hosts monthly group socials, hosted by community managers, in order to drive local expansion. Community managers are volunteers who help to organize users social lives. In Cardiff, for example, there are 12 volunteers. Events vary from sports events to camping, book clubs and club nights out.
The website is based around a user subscription model. It celebrates the full rollout of its new credits-based system across all platforms, letting users participate in a limited number of social nights and meet new people for free. Anyone who completes their profile earns credits, in addition to the 10 credits they get simply by visiting the site or app each month, and they can invite friends to join Citysocializer to earn more. Citysocializer’s premium service starts at £12.99 per month via the Web, or £3.99/week through an in-app purchase.
- Paul Sawers (3 June 2013). "CitySocialising goes mobile and becomes Citysocializer, helping you tap social scenes wherever you roam" The Next Web Retrieved 17 July 2013
- Steve O'Hear (7 December 2010). "CitySocialising raises £1m in Series A round led by PROfounders Capital". TechCrunch. Retrieved 5 October 2011.
- "CitySocialising raises £260,000 from London Business Angels investment". London Business Angels. 11 March 2009. Retrieved 5 October 2011.
- Mike Butcher (8 July 2013). "Citysocializer White-Labels Its Platform For Publishers Wanting New Social Revenues". News. Techcrunch. Retrieved 15 July 2013.
- Cathy Owens (6 September 2011). "CitySocialising - the club which helps you make friends in Cardiff". South Wales Days Out. WalesOnline. Retrieved 5 October 2011.